Binoculars - any suggestions of mid-range brands?

Hi there,

I'm a new member to the Stalking Directory and just getting into stalking after being partially cured of pheasantitis. I learned an expensive lesson re. optics for my new Steyr Scout 7mm-08 and am keen to get some advice on bino's. After gambling on cheaper glass which failed to pass muster (zero kept getting knocked off both cheaper 'scopes I fitted) I stumped up a load of cash for a new Schmidt & Bender from Sloans of Inverurie (highly recommended gun shop if you're North East of Scotland based). The new 'scope is a dream to use and so much better than the cheap stuff.

Despite protestations from the Minister for War & Finance (Mrs. Craigearn Mannie), I'm in the market for some mid-range bino's. I've got a pair of bird-watching specials which are OK for now but fancy something a bit better. Any thoughts on which brand in the £100-£150 range would fit the bill? I'm looking for fixed power 8x42-ish. Anyone had good/bad experience of Barska bino's?

Thanks in advance!!!

i use a set of olympus exwp1 roof prism bins. i had them up in scotland and my mates had a set of leica trinivids and a set of zeiss dyetals. the expensive bins were a bit sharper and gave about 5 to 10 mins longer at dusk. the olympus cost me £100 quid

pete

For what it is worth I'd suggest you save for a little longer and get yourself some good glass. For me the Minox HGs were about where the laws of diminishing returns set in and I paid £400 including tax and duty for a pair from the USA. They are 8.5X43 and offer really impressive low light performance.

You might also want to look at 2nd hand availability, if you were to be buying from a reliable source then that could save you a lot of cash and allow you to get much better glass for your money.

As a hobby stalker I couldn't justify the money on £1000 plus binos, though I can understand why the professional would pay the money for swaros and the like. However, I've been happy with the Minox and even swaro owners have been amazed by their low light performance.

i use bushnell h2o binos ...... 10x42 , cant fault them just about indestructable and water proof ans all for about 120 quid !
cheers lee

binos

hi over the years i bought 3 different cheap brands of bino,s around 30 40 pounds 2years ago i decided to buy a good pair,so i went for the barska,i thought they were great :rolleyes: until i discovered that if i looked out of them for any length of time i got a sore head :eek: .put them away and got a set of second hand swaro,s.
i wish i,d bought them first, an old stalker told me buy right and buy once.
forget the barska,s

i got a second hand pair of opticrons 8x42 a good while back. been out in all weathers They light round the neck, clear, comfy to hold and havent fogged up or let me down ever :)

Put a wanted ad up on the directory, i`m sure someone`s got something tucked away. It is a buyers market after all!!
basil.

Have a look at Steiners. Been using them for years and still happy with them. Some good deals on Ebay at the moment.

My tuppence worth.

I have used a couple of pairs of cheapish (£100 - Bushnell) binos and as someone above says they are ok in the shop or for a try but after a while you get a sore head, loose joints and find 'doughnut' lens' at half light.

I bought a pair of 7x42 Opticrons (about £350) after looking at swaro and zeiss and have not been diappointed after four years.

I would always recommend 7x72 over anything else - in practical terms you can actually see more because you can hold them still. Look at what the professionals use.

I recently bought a pair of Leica Geovid bins for a friend in Denmark - where they were more due to the currency difference - and in truth though they are excellent glass I just could'nt see they were worth an extra £800. Would you be happy bouncing them off rocks or wiping the lens with your glove when you HAD to see something quick? Not me.

i bought a pair of Zeiss 8x30 B MC Diafun Waterproof & Fogproof Binoculars from the usa on ebay, probably cost about £150 by the time i got them here (exchange rate may have been better then) there brilliant and very clear! worth a look on ebay.com or ebay.co.uk then selected available to the UK.

good luck.

I was in the same dilema. Heard the old buy quality buy once line, but as a recreational stalker I couldn't justify to myself the expense of one of top line brands Leica, Swarovski etc. at over £1000.

Well, today I had delivered a set of Vortex Viper binos in 8x42 configuration. Not a bino expert so have nothing to compare them to, but after a quick scan out the back of the house earlier tonight I am well happy with my purchase. Nice green rubber housing and very sharp image. They also come with a fully transerable lifetime warranty.

All for just less than a quarter of the equivilent swarovski, leica etc.

Cheers

Stu

I have just been given a pair of Wetland Visionary 8x42. I love them but have never has a "good" pair and am no expert on low light performance, however at £68 have to be worth a look :)

Back