Bipods! Love them or hate them give me the reason’s why.

Glendine

Hi All,

Speaking to stalkers over the last few years I have noticed that bipod use can divide opinion as much as having a moderator fitted to your rifle.

Most stalkers that have them think there an indispensable piece of equipment.
Those who don’t usually stating “No don’t use then the add to much weight and you can always find a rest”

Bipods! Love them or hate them give me the reason’s why.

Many thanks,
Glendine.

flyingfisherman

A bipod generally will never stop you from getting a shot but will sometimes get you that shot that wouldn't be on without a bipod. Ok its nice to carry a 'clean' rifle but for me, a bipod has meant ive connected with a lot more deer than i would have without it.

Stewarty69

I wouldn't be without my bipod. Admittedly they do add weight to the rifle but that is far outweighed by the benefit the give when I use them.

Taking a shot from the bipod is by far the most stable position and gives me complete confience to take the shot.

ATB

Stewarty69

Mulac

It depends on where I am going as to whether I have a bipod on the rifle. If it is to shoot over farmland in winter then I will take the bipod but during the summer and thru woodland (at anytime) I don't usually bother as it is easier to shoot of the sticks due the amount of cover. It is just a tool to used when the right situation demands it.

​Mulac

paul o'

+1 with sticks i find it gets in the way ,i have bipods in my truck and bag but normly use my binos or back pack if needed .

It depends on where I am going as to whether I have a bipod on the rifle. If it is to shoot over farmland in winter then I will take the bipod but during the summer and thru woodland (at anytime) I don't usually bother as it is easier to shoot of the sticks due the amount of cover. It is just a tool to used when the right situation demands it.

​Mulac

6pointer

I dont use a bipod pain in the shoulder noisy and you can lie down and not see a fecking thing sometimes. This can cause you to lose the deer. Sticks is all you need then what you see while scanning is what you see when you take the shot. Also keeps the shot point higher making it safer.

private fraser

A downside is the point of impact difference with a bipod fitted and zeroed but not used for whatever reason.
Depends on rifle how much this is.

howa243

Hate them till I need them, and then find that the grass is too long or the ground too uneven. Great for practice though.

bewsher500

depends what you want from it
personally I hate them and have sold all three that I once had

rabbit shooting - sticks on foot, car window when on wheels
roe stalking (wood, hill, farmland) - done off sticks
red stalking (open hill) - done off the sling rolled up or a binocular case which I already have on me.

One more thing to carry.
Becomes a liability in any terrain that can snag it,
heavy, digs into the back when on a sling.
unbalances the rifle (more so if moderated!)

they are very handy for when you want to clean your rifle though!!

Klenchblaize

My opinion may change if I ever get around to swapping my fixed Harris for a swivel model with Pod-Lock.

K

Ps: They still look carp.

Last edited:

2130martin

I have been through the same,love them hate them dilemma and now recently acquired a set of Elite 5 sticks.....I even zero off of them as I found I could shoot better off of them than from prone!!,one less bit of kit to carry,sorted!!:thumb:

PointBlank

I don't like them, I struggle to think of many places I shoot that are safe to heart/ lung a deer any bigger than a muntjac fawn from a bipod anyway.

Klenchblaize

A pain when in a highseat too but might work with some setups when rested (unopened) on the seat's padded rest if you can sit well back against tree?

tusker

love my bipods, has made the difference between getting the shot or not. I have never not been able to get a shot because the bipod was on the rifle.
Tusker

bogtrotter

Good points and bad points, in woodland stalking a set of sticks is of more use, great on the open hill when you are going to be shooting prone in any case, find bipod better than trying to shoot of binocular case rolled up jackets or whatever.

Down side, well shot without one for quite a few years, but since getting one I have become so used to it that I no longer feel comfortable taking a prone shot without it.

patterdale

Good points and bad points, in woodland stalking a set of sticks is of more use, great on the open hill when you are going to be shooting prone in any case, find bipod better than trying to shoot of binocular case rolled up jackets or whatever.

Down side, well shot without one for quite a few years, but since getting one I have become so used to it that I no longer feel comfortable taking a prone shot without it.
+1

PSE Composites Limited