Blackthorn & Sloes

rab19

Hi All,

Just been down to my Blackthorn patch and it looks like it's been an early season for sloes, the majority have gone over already and are split right around and most are mush.

How far gone would you use sloes for Sloe Gin?

Also a lot have reached 15 feet+ tall, has anyone risked cutting theirs to the ground and starting again and if they did when did they next get sloes?

Thanks.

Woodsmoke

Can't help you with advice, but if you'd like a couple of pounds of sloes I still have plenty in the freezer from last year. They're beauties, too. You're welcome to some if you're stuck. Just outside Forfar. Give me shout if you need some :thumb:

howa243

Hi All,

Just been down to my Blackthorn patch and it looks like it's been an early season for sloes, the majority have gone over already and are split right around and most are mush.

How far gone would you use sloes for Sloe Gin?

Also a lot have reached 15 feet+ tall, has anyone risked cutting theirs to the ground and starting again and if they did when did they next get sloes?

Thanks.
Funny year for them. Out of about a hundred or so yards of blackthorn hedge there are only about four trees/bushes of sloes. As you say even without having a frost they have started to deteriorate. I have cut them back before and as yet I have not had any fruit from those bushes. This was a couple of years back.

Cottis

Picked 4 kilos the other day. Hedges are heaving with fruit but it is probably warmer down here. I didnt move laterally more than 20yds either side of my start point and had more than enough. Around here, i would say it is one of the more bumper seasons i have seen before.

No idea about cutting them back etc but ours are mushed up each year when my brother in law cuts them back with the tractor. Doesn't seem to affect their ability to produce fruit

Mike L

Ours weren't too big this year but I have done 6 litres of gin and a litre of elderberry port from a recipe in the shooting times.

Gm81

I am struggling for sloes. Last year was such a crop. More than we could hope to use. This year same hedge, hardly any. Most not good either. They look like they are past it. However damsons are loaded. We have made gin, port and vodka. Then rhubarb gin too.
I wondered why they have done so well but the sloes haven't.

Gm81

Ours weren't too big this year but I have done 6 litres of gin and a litre of elderberry port from a recipe in the shooting times.
The wife has asked what the recipe would be for elderberry port, if you don't mind sharing.?