Blaser grs stock bedding

1980floppy25

Just purchased a grs laminate stock for my blaser. Just reading there notes and it says that they recommend stock to be bedded or warranty is void. Has any body bought one of these and carried bedding out. I would be grateful of your opinions thanks

Ratwhiskers

l've come across several GRS stocks that have been generous/overly slack in the action well and would always recommend both pillars and a full devcon/other bed into the well.

antsa

I hope I'm not hijacking here but thought it might be a good spot to present my GRS question. I have a Sako 85 .260 Rem (short action) in a GRS Sporter stock. GRS recommend bedding but in this case it is not a warranty requirement. I have been thinking about pillar bedding it and read with great interest forum member Dodgy Knee's post in another thread about his method of putting in pillars. For those of you who are familiar with the recoil plate solution in the Sako 85 series it might be interesting to know that GRS utilise a conventional, albeit floating, recoil lug similar to the Tikka solution. Strangely enough the 85 action does have a machined slot for a lug but it is not used in the Sako stocks. At least not in the timber and laminate ones. I have no knowledge of the composite offerings. Anyway the GRS stock inletted for the Sako 85 action comes with a lug that mates with the slot in the action.

When it comes to pillar bedding I found that the hole for the forward action bolt almost tangents the rear face of the lug making it, as I see it, impossible to install a pillar. One method might be to remove a bit of the lug to allow it fit around the pillar but with this approach things start getting messy. Not your everyday DIY job.

Does anyone out there know/have experience of pillar bedding a Sako 85 action in a GRS?

A pic of the lug and hole:

Cheers

Ratwhiskers

The easiest method, if you fully intend to keep the bar recoil lug, is to replace it with a similar sized piece of aluminium bar stock (easier cutting then steel and less prone to excessive friction while drilling, with the possibility of remelting the bedding compound), bond it in place first, then drill down through the bolt hole (taking a skim off the front surface of the recoil lug) to the size of pillar you intend to fit and pillar bed as normal.
The other method l have employed (completely round actioned Annie Rimfires as an example) is to fit a round pillar at the rear of the action (in the stock), so that the rear tang butts up against it.
Other methods start to become as you have said, really complicated.