Blaser Rifles

crossy 666

Hi everyone, I’m looking to treat myself to a Blaser R8 Rifle. I have never had one before or used one before so just wondering if they are as good as people say they are?

I work hard and do long hours so like to buy nice kit so have been saving my money for a while but I’m a bit lazy when it comes to cleaning my kit after A long day/night out and normally leave it till the next day but I have heard stories of Blaser barrels rusting inside over night so that put me off a bit is this true and what else should I look out for ?

My advice is not to seek advice from folk who do not (or have not) owned one, or even touched one

If you would like a detailed assessment on the R8 pm me with your email address and i'll forward it

It is an outstanding summary - sadly not written by me

Hi everyone, I’m looking to treat myself to a Blaser R8 Rifle. I have never had one before or used one before so just wondering if they are as good as people say they are?

I work hard and do long hours so like to buy nice kit so have been saving my money for a while but I’m a bit lazy when it comes to cleaning my kit after A long day/night out and normally leave it till the next day but I have heard stories of Blaser barrels rusting inside over night so that put me off a bit is this true and what else should I look out for ?

I have an R8 pro - bought as a treat to myself for my 40 th

Its ok but when it went back for some warranty work on the leather i was told the barrel was pitted

I asked for the bore scope images to be told - oh we dont have a scope with a camera

Most odd in my opinion

Do i like it yes - would i buy another over a Sako or Tikka again - probably not

I do think you need to keep the Blaser clean as the bolt struggles to close if dirty too

The best rifle i ever owned was Weihrauch

Best thing I ever did was buy a secondhand Blaser R8. I find it a great system especially for easy disassembly and cleaning and the accuracy with factory ammunition is outstanding.

IMG_6241.jpeg

Best thing I ever did was buy a secondhand Blaser R8. I find it a great system especially for easy disassembly and cleaning and the accuracy with factory ammunition is outstanding.

View attachment 359805

I note that your barrel is ceracoated…

I owned an R93 exactly the same barrels. They liked to rust for fun. In fact I used an early R93 that a stalker had as his estate rifle and that thing would have an orange glow after a morning in wet weather.

@Ronin bore scoped my barrels when I sold the rifle and a couple of them showed signs I internal corrosion aka pits.

£3500 ish depending on the model. An adjustable cheek piece is most probably required. Yet I am tempted weekly by an R8.

Get behind on and try the action.

I have two R8's. a standard stock and an ultimate with three calibres.

great rifles that are really versatile.

I shoot tikka at the moment and have 4 of them as I they do exactly what you want them to straight out of the box but I fancied treating myself this time. My taste is A bit like marmite and the rifle I would love to get my hands on is a blaser R8 lightning but I don’t think they were very popular so didn’t take off so my chances of getting one is like finding hens teeth I think.

I shoot tikka at the moment and have 4 of them as I they do exactly what you want them to straight out of the box but I fancied treating myself this time. My taste is A bit like marmite and the rifle I would love to get my hands on is a blaser R8 lightning but I don’t think they were very popular so didn’t take off so my chances of getting one is like finding hens teeth I think.

I have just looked up that model. Now it’s your choice. But I’m compelled to comment on the stock.

I just can’t understand why anyone in the U.K. would want leather as an integral part of the stock. The U.K. style of stalking and carrying the rifle it just asking for it to be damaged. Now in Germany where you walk to a stand and take the rifle out for a drive where there is less chance of it being damaged I can understand the choice.

I would like a Blaser S2 but they stopped making them.

Just switched from Sako/Tikka to a Blaser R8. The ergonomics are superior and I am having hours of fun taking it apart and putting it back together again. The accuracy is spot on. I'm doing weight training with my thumb to get used to the cocking/decocking safety but that's just a minor adjustment. I've already had my first Blaser dead mans click where I hadn't pushed the bolt far enough forward, but I've seen that happen with Tikka's too so again just a case of getting familiar with the rifle.
Probably the best thing of all, with the sling attached to the forward stud, the rifle actually stays vertical on my shoulder and doesn't constantly need to be hitched back up all the time.
IMG_2960.jpeg

I find the comments regarding rust/pitting interesting.

Firstly, I've never seen any rust on any of my R8 barrels, but I suspect that's down to how they are cared for, and stored ?

As for pitting, does this only occur as a result of rust, or are there other reasons barrels can pit ?

Also, in my very limited experience, pitting seems to have little affect on accuracy ?

I note that your barrel is ceracoated…

I owned an R93 exactly the same barrels. They liked to rust for fun. In fact I used an early R93 that a stalker had as his estate rifle and that thing would have an orange glow after a morning in wet weather.

@Ronin bore scoped my barrels when I sold the rifle and a couple of them showed signs I internal corrosion aka pits.

£3500 ish depending on the model. An adjustable cheek piece is most probably required. Yet I am tempted weekly by an R8.

Get behind on and try the action.
The Cerakote was just to satisfy my ocd.

The barrel was 2nd hand and had a couple of external marks which combined with the silver mod messed with my mojo.

Quality cerakote job thanks to @taylor and I am very happy with the aesthetic and the performance.

Browning Legia spray is an integral part of my gun care routine and I have never had any rust issues with my Blaser or other makes of rifles.

I have just looked up that model. Now it’s your choice. But I’m compelled to comment on the stock.

I just can’t understand why anyone in the U.K. would want leather as an integral part of the stock. The U.K. style of stalking and carrying the rifle it just asking for it to be damaged. Now in Germany where you walk to a stand and take the rifle out for a drive where there is less chance of it being damaged I can understand the choice.
It’s the silver action/barrel I like the stock doesn’t do it for me. Sorry I should have explained better.

I own Blaser’s and Tikkas. Both do the job. I’ve just bought a beautiful 243 R93 wooden stocked rifle to add to the collection. I rarely clean my rifles use them everyday. I do run an oiled cloth over them if they get wet. The Blaser’s are so easy to take down dry and put back together if that’s your thing. I’d look at the second hand market either R8 or R93

I own a Mauser MO3. I have handled but not shot a Blaser and I like them too. They come from the next door factory so should be similar in build quality.
However - just to throw a spanner in the works; if I was wanting to own a switch barrel rifle of stunning quality I’d look at the Schultz and Larsen. A mate has one and I’ve been highly impressed by its build quality, accuracy and most of all, value for money. Much cheaper than Blaser.

.243 22 mm match barrel, I don’t feel any extra weight 222 243 6.5 308 super bits of kit smaller calibres I have in standard barrel format
They suit me and they work faultlessly
Nothing not to like

Attachments

• IMG_4514.jpeg
    IMG_4514.jpeg
    205.3 KB · Views: 47
Back