Blocked users

User00001

Since discovering the user blocking feature a while ago I have enjoyed a lot better experience of this forum, it really does clearly identify that nearly all of the trouble is caused by a small number of individuals.

It also shows that a high proportion of the classified ad space is dominated by a small number of very pushy traders (usually with no prices) and a small number of pseudo-traders constantly trying to sell stuff.

I had reason to view the site recently without logging in (therefore you see the stuff that would otherwise have been blocked) and, I have to say, I was a little shocked at how unpleasant and unprofessional some aspects of the forum have become.

Please remember that, as far as I know, anyone can view this site. A bored investigative journalist with half an idea about shooting and a bit of an anti-shooting slant could generate quite a bit of material from things on here.

Which people, what trouble?
It's all very well deploring unpleasantness but unless it's identified its doesn't get anyone very far. One man's unpleasantness is another man's storm in a teacup.

Fair enough, if you can't see it for yourselves then it clearly isn't a problem to you, we all have slightly different levels of what we consider acceptable and that is fine. One mans bullying is another mans banter and all that.

I only made comment because having looked at the site from two positions (logged in, with some people blocked, and logged out, see everything) I could see a big difference; totally accept that others may not see it that way, each to their own.

Which people, what trouble?
It's all very well deploring unpleasantness but unless it's identified its doesn't get anyone very far. One man's unpleasantness is another man's storm in a teacup.

It’s sometimes just as simple as a head shot joke follow up reply which we all know is what it’s meant to be but as he’s pointed out & many of us have......it’s an open forum & we leave ourselves wide open in the current anti everything times.
BASC no longer sponsor, most likely just future proofing their own reputation & not about all the do nothing comments....you can’t be that big & not expect criticism.

Since discovering the user blocking feature a while ago I have enjoyed a lot better experience of this forum, it really does clearly identify that nearly all of the trouble is caused by a small number of individuals.

It also shows that a high proportion of the classified ad space is dominated by a small number of very pushy traders (usually with no prices) and a small number of pseudo-traders constantly trying to sell stuff.

I had reason to view the site recently without logging in (therefore you see the stuff that would otherwise have been blocked) and, I have to say, I was a little shocked at how unpleasant and unprofessional some aspects of the forum have become.

Please remember that, as far as I know, anyone can view this site. A bored investigative journalist with half an idea about shooting and a bit of an anti-shooting slant could generate quite a bit of material from things on here.

Hi Glyn
Yep I would agree with you on that, with the exception in part of the traders, some of the guys ( traders) are faultless in the way they put the goods up for sale and the after service is second to none, you don’t find that on the rob you blind internet and high street shopping,
Sites, there is merit to finding what you want on the SD, like most things you owe it to yourself to get the bits you want at a good price and condition

The rest is where the blocking feature is located ( I hope you get to read this :))

Cheers

Phil

It’s sometimes just as simple as a head shot joke follow up reply which we all know is what it’s meant to be but as he’s pointed out & many of us have......it’s an open forum & we leave ourselves wide open in the current anti everything times.
BASC no longer sponsor, most likely just future proofing their own reputation & not about all the do nothing comments....you can’t be that big & not expect criticism.
Not advocating for "Full Bluntal Nugenty" ( aka full on Ted Nugent bluntness) but do you really think if all the sudden we spoke in flowery prose and in virtuous perfection the antis would change their minds?

In relation to our traders whom do not state prices, I simply don't buy from them. I buy from several of our traders and get excellent service eg. Monarch and mmbeatle.

There are occasions when a trader can't offer his price on a public forum as the manufacturers/distributors will sometimes insist on him/her not publishing this. Although this can be seen as price protection I read it as only an indication that this item is available/in stock, and if I want one I will pm for a price which is often comparitably favourable. Service/support is key in my opinion and I am much more interested in hearing peoples opinion on this.

There are occasions when a trader can't offer his price on a public forum as the manufacturers/distributors will sometimes insist on him/her not publishing this. Although this can be seen as price protection I read it as only an indication that this item is available/in stock, and if I want one I will pm for a price which is often comparitably favourable. Service/support is key in my opinion and I am much more interested in hearing peoples opinion on this.
I fully understand the example you gave, and don't envy the position that it puts honest retailers in. However it is all part of a device to maintain the distributor's 'recommended retail price' or whatever they wish to label it. If retailers stood united and wouldn't wear it, things would have to change to a more transparent market place. Not easy to achieve and unlikely to happen though.

Having acknowledged that, there are also those that use this device as 'smoke and mirrors'.

Another area is paid stalking, some outfitters have clear pricing whilst others do not.

The 'customer is always right' says the old retailing mantra. If the potential customer wont buy, then something has to change or a business fails.

We have some excellent traders on here, whose first class service I avail myself of on a regular basis. For me though, no price means pass it by. :tiphat:

I fully understand the example you gave, and don't envy the position that it puts honest retailers in. However it is all part of a device to maintain the distributor's 'recommended retail price' or whatever they wish to label it. If retailers stood united and wouldn't wear it, things would have to change to a more transparent market place. Not easy to achieve and unlikely to happen though.

Having acknowledged that, there are also those that use this device as 'smoke and mirrors'.

Another area is paid stalking, some outfitters have clear pricing whilst others do not.

The 'customer is always right' says the old retailing mantra. If the potential customer wont buy, then something has to change or a business fails.

We have some excellent traders on here, whose first class service I avail myself of on a regular basis. For me though, no price means pass it by. :tiphat:
The same the world over.

Surely not
Isn't that illegal?!.......:rolleyes:

This from CarlW and Finch..... as for TRADERS not displaying prices,that is their privilege for paying to advertise..:doh:

Fair comments, may be the guidelines but you don’t have to like them.
Not advocating for "Full Bluntal Nugenty" ( aka full on Ted Nugent bluntness) but do you really think if all the sudden we spoke in flowery prose and in virtuous perfection the antis would change their minds?

I've no intention of wasting any energy trying to convert anyone, however I am aware of what I post as the site is open. There's always some sort of fire burning just see no need to fuel or fan the flames for myself or others.

Perhaps when someone blocks you, there should be something that tells you who has blocked you, after all it
would be really annoying to answer someone who has blocked you, talk about a waste of effort.

Neil.

Perhaps when someone blocks you, there should be something that tells you who has blocked you, after all it
would be really annoying to answer someone who has blocked you, talk about a waste of effort.

Neil.

I can see that. But you block someone because you don't want to hear from them. Telling people they're blocked will be like a red flag to a bull for some and may have the opposite effect and create animosity for no reason.

Back