Blood recipes

josh3105

Had a productive morning making a batch of blood for the teckel. I tend to use blood, liver and a bit of water blended in together. No salt or anything else.

What are other people using? Straight blood, mixtures of blood/liver, powder concentrates?

20200801_120503.jpg

mereside

@mereside any particular reason? Im assuming closer to the real thing?
Yes it's really strong for the dog, what you have to remember is when the dog sniffs the scent it takes everything up the nose it then goes two ways it then swirls the scent into the mouth along with going to the scent receptors so snorting salt and other things is not good keep it natural, it is strong enough not to need blending with other things, and adding liver or anything else is only going to make it stronger still, you actually only need a tiny drop here and there or a woundbed and that's it, the more you use the easier it is for the dog and the lazier you will make your dog. for HS we use nothing but cleave scent and that's it, my opinion is working ground disturbance alone is far better in the long run as you make it the hardest it will ever be, having a dog follow a scent without blood over other distraction and knowing your dog is still following is the key, the times I have tracked and we have nothing to go on for a long time, the stalker will question if the dog is correct, then the dog will indicate a spot of blood you have something to show and this is important, work with no blood then work to get the dog to indicate a spot of blood on a leaf or branch mid track and mark this. and pay close attention to your dog and watch the difference blood makes.
also watch how fast a dog works with blood on a track and how methodical you can get a dog to work without it, this is key to being successful when real tracks are done, loads of times you hear of it's ok because there is no sign and a dog loses interest but actually building a dog up to trust and understand is the key. I know with my dog when we will get an animal, I can tell with the mannerism of my dog how she works a track as to how we will fair, I also know she will mark the tiniest piece of blood or bone for me. This comes back to working different stages like tracks with no blood, verweison points along a trail and nothing else, blood is a good thing to use in the right way, keep it pure and use a few small spots at marked points, to hone the dogs nose and build.
watch a trained dog for the first time on a gut shot beast without blood sign and watch it race along the track, what I am trying to say is do each thing separate and let the dog build a picture, which in turn lets you read the dog and understand it, once your on your own you need to know for sure, or you will be another saying it's ok it's just a grazing shot it will be ok.
Regards wayne

josh3105

100% pure blood!

But remember in your training, that not every animal that is shot bleeds.
Yea mate been reading the John Jeanneney book and it explains the sign for gut shots, leg bone etc. Trying to mix tracks so that some have plenty of blood, some have very little. I havent tried one without blood past about 20 metres just yet.

Waz77

It's surprising what dogs will track once they learn the signs, we used to get foxhounds hunting quad bikes when they'd been used to lay a trail 😂

leec6.5

Yea mate been reading the John Jeanneney book and it explains the sign for gut shots, leg bone etc. Trying to mix tracks so that some have plenty of blood, some have very little. I havent tried one without blood past about 20 metres just yet.
You don’t Need a lot of blood, i started my dog on 25ml of blood on 100m and finished at 1000m with 25ml