Blue bird (land speed record)

black lab

If you stay on the West Coast of Scotland
The Donald Campbell, Blue Bird is over on Rothesay on Loch Fad for some trials, sounds like a wee ferry trip to Rothesay for a look and some pictures :-|;):lol:
Bill.

As a kid I saw DC`s BB at the Melbourne Motor Show way back in the 60`s from memory and was enthralled at the size of those monster aluminium wheels and overall size of the beast.

I'm old enough to remember the tragic accident, planning to go see the old girl in all her former glory this coming week.
Whether I will be lucky enough to see her dash down the Loch or not remains to be seen.

If you stay on the West Coast of Scotland
The Donald Campbell, Blue Bird is over on Rothesay on Loch Fad for some trials, sounds like a wee ferry trip to Rothesay for a look and some pictures :-|;):lol:
Bill.

Its the Bluebird k7 boat so water speed record not land speed my friend, but just as exciting.

The world needs more Donald Campbell,s British ingenuity at its absolute best, pushing the boundaries beyond the imaginable:british:

sheet12no71.jpg

Last edited:
I'm old enough to remember the tragic accident..

Me too. I was ten years old at the time. i think I may even have heard it live on the car radio coming back from or going to Lincolnshire? Certainly I remember it on the television news the next day.

I remember seeing it on the news when his body was finally recovered. The Lakeland museum near Coniston has the wreckage of the original K7 on display. Very sobering and quite moving to see it, and to think of what drove him to take the risks he did. There are also replicas of various cars and boats both he and his father made record attempts in too, as well as a lot of other memorabilia

Its the original wreckage that's now been restored, its back in action.

Correct one hell Of a restoration project she ran on Sunday unfortunately I was not there was there on Monday did not run due to the wrong fuel.being delivered, believe it ran on Monday evening after I had to leave.Grrr.

Never mind I had a great day chatting with like-minded speed freaks.

Hi Bogtrotter and all,
There is a short 2 minute clip on YouTube, just search for Bluebird Jet Run Up on Loch Fad.

Dedication from all who contributed in the project.

Cheers

A.M.

Back