Boar meat for sale????

Bavarianbrit

I just wondered if any folks would like some frozen meat bringing over to the UK, as my contacts in Germany shoot very many of them.
What is the legal aspect?

I imagine there should be restrictions on such import, even between european states, seeing as ASF is a very real thing at the moment.

I bring mine back, no problem. Provided its had checks done by relevant authority/vets, you are allowed to travel with meat between EU countries with no restrictions, look it up. I always get mine vac wrapped.

The Trichinella test is a given to be done in Germany but I think now it would raise too many issues so I think I will just let it drop. I was just thinking to help fellow stalkers here and in Germany without being involved in money side of things, too shabby that.

I bring mine back, no problem. Provided its had checks done by relevant authority/vets, you are allowed to travel with meat between EU countries with no restrictions, look it up. I always get mine vac wrapped.
obviously there are no restrictions between EU states, but.. is it ethical given that the ASF epidemic exists inside the EU?

I don't know about Germany but in Poland every pig has to be tested and past fit, you can then treat as normal, if it fails, its destroyed by them. I haven't shifted any since the ASF scare in Poland and wouldn't. The people who just got caught with infected sausage, should be hung out to dry for two reasons , one importing from a none import country and second ASF has just about wiped out the pigs in that country.

You can still buy boar meat in german butchers and there is no way from the packaging to trace the origin so they seem to feel they have it under control at the moment acc to what I have read the Czechs have now eliminated the vectors using military with thermal equipped kit & the same on helicopter shooting of them.

I have had the opportunity to bring back meat from Croatia now that it is in the EU.
The pig is tested for Trichinella as soon after it is killed and if it fails is incinerated so the only meat available has been proved for human consumption.
As regards ASF that would be spotted surely when being butchered or is there a special test when initially tested for trichinella ?

I have always brought my wild boar back after I butcher it, vac pack the meat is inspected and tested you tag it and I carry the paperwork back with me, for testing you cut part of the liver, foreleg and back leg meat in vac bags send off to the vet but every carcass has to be tested anyway, I will dig out some paperwork to show you

I wouldn't be bringing back any boar meat or boar meat products from countries that that had ASF or bordered a country that Had ASF.
Boar meat has a much tighter structure that domesticated pork and do's not make pulled pork.
I've got to bag and tag half a boar today. I shot it Friday night, It was a bit larger than i thought at 107kg. Half to me and I'll give half to a neighbor.

You can still buy boar meat in german butchers and there is no way from the packaging to trace the origin so they seem to feel they have it under control at the moment acc to what I have read the Czechs have now eliminated the vectors using military with thermal equipped kit & the same on helicopter shooting of them.
Where on earth did you here this?

It was reported in DJZ german hunting mag, I am in Bavaria so have been watching developments & mate is a divisional vet who keeps me up to date so is pukka info not fake news.
I am not doubting you. I asked as I have good friends in cz and the reports from there are that areas around outbreaks were scent fenced and then all pigs inside were shot. They never reported how or by whom this was done.

Without sounding like a miserable old git, but I cannot for the life of me see why folk bring in any pork or boar related produce and risk the entire agricultural division in the uk.
We are surrounded by ASF as close as Belgium, we have never had it, and if we do get it god only knows what will happen, so why take the risk, especially when boar meat is readily available in the uk anyway.

The meat industry worldwide always, but always confirm that their standards are the highest, until a horse goes for a spin around the abbatoirs and processing plants of Europe, or a dairy cow in Devon gets a 'Daisy the dairy cow' ration; the cost-benefit analysis of the proposal would seem to suggest the risk being far greater than any preceptible 'gain', especially since if you but try a little it is perfectly possible to buy UK-grown wild boar meat. Nor does the apparent lax nature of 'controls' between the 'Sudeten'- and Fatherland inspire much by way of confidence.

Depends on how much 'crackling' you have in the 'game', of course...

Back