Boar shooting in UK? Info required

Founders

Hi, I would like to know how much boar shooting will cost and where is available please, I would need estate rifle supplied as i currently only have only 6.5 on my FAC.

Thank you.

Hi, I would like to know how much boar shooting will cost and where is available please, I would need estate rifle supplied as i currently only have only 6.5 on my FAC.

Thank you.
There is no reason why you can't use a 6.5 mm rifle on Wild Boar - assuming it is conditioned for AOLQ. (?)

Thank you.
There was a few in the classified for forest of dean in Feb.

Good prices too.

They said 6.5 is fine when I asked, tbf from what my 6.5cm did to a alu plate at 200yrds theres no reason it couldnt be used.

I would need estate rifle supplied as i currently only have only 6.5 on my FAC.
You’ve been reading too many forum posts!

When you guys talk about shooting boar in England, what are the circumstances? Is it driven shooting with the animals on the run, are you stalking them, or is it shooting them over bait?

Have you done a google search........?

Cut out the middle man for the forest of dean and go straight to @ELMER FUDD

You’ve been reading too many forum posts!

When you guys talk about shooting boar in England, what are the circumstances? Is it driven shooting with the animals on the run, are you stalking them, or is it shooting them over bait?
95% of the time, for paid 'stalking' at least, it is shooting from a tower over bait points at night. a 6.5 mm at the base of the ear at all of 50 yards bowls them over just fine!

Thank you.
Why should that be an issue provided you have an AOLQ condition. A 6.5 bullet to the base of the ear at 50 yards will kill them perfectly humanely.

Why should that be an issue provided you have an AOLQ condition. A 6.5 bullet to the base of the ear at 50 yards will kill them perfectly humanely.

I think the ".270 minimum recommendation", confuses many, who new to shooting boar, may Google information for shooting boar in the UK ?

When I originally applied to shoot boar, I had to show suitable ground, or booked outings, and "boar" was listed in my conditions.

Now, unlike shooting deer, there is no minimum calibre/energy requirement for shooting boar, even though it is far tougher, and potentially very dangerous if injured. I think is a mistake !

In reality, at circa 50m, over a feed station, on a static boar, a well placed shot from any centrefire rifle, with the right bullet, will do the job.

I think the ".270 minimum recommendation", confuses many, who new to shooting boar, may Google information for shooting boar in the UK ?

When I originally applied to shoot boar, I had to show suitable ground, or booked outings, and "boar" was listed in my conditions.

Now, unlike shooting deer, there is no minimum calibre/energy requirement for shooting boar, even though it is far tougher, and potentially very dangerous if injured. I think is a mistake !

In reality, at circa 50m, over a feed station, on a static boar, a well placed shot from any centrefire rifle, with the right bullet, will do the job.
Agreed on pretty much any CF .222 and above to the brain will do the job.

As for there not being a legal minimum, it takes a lot of time and money to push legislation through and boar shooting is not a major activity; they are not widespread. I can’t see a Boar Act any time soon.

Cut out the middle man for the forest of dean and go straight to @ELMER FUDD

95% of the time, for paid 'stalking' at least, it is shooting from a tower over bait points at night. a 6.5 mm at the base of the ear at all of 50 yards bowls them over just fine!

A friend has had 5 or 6 blank trips with him.... yes it is a wild animal but 5>6 trips on any paid event is not a good %
you could be out of it on a pheasant day but still get a couple...

Guessing most guides would be pulling all the stops out with a client on even the second blank trip let alone 5/6

Myself and a buddy have had 2 trips between us and one of us has shot boar each time. I am not sure how you can pull out the stops on shooting over a bait station.

We are either very lucky or very quiet.

Agreed on pretty much any CF .222 and above to the brain will do the job.

As for there not being a legal minimum, it takes a lot of time and money to push legislation through and boar shooting is not a major activity; they are not widespread. I can’t see a Boar Act any time soon.

True, but if you're going to remove a "condition", which really wasn't an issue in the first place, you need to make sure the alternative is "fit for purpose" ?

I don't believe the change was a good idea.

Back