Boiler?

kenbro

Hi, There always seems to be somebody knowledgeable on SD whatever the query.
We have recently been having trouble with a gas boiler only firing up intermittently and as it’s 15/20 years old we shall replace it.
Needs To run domestic hot water and central heating.
I’d like peoples opinions as to whether modern boilers are much of a muchness, or are some makes better made and more reliable than others?
Thanks in advance.
Ken.

Go for the one with the best warranty . Don’t bother with British Gas. A bunch of robbing so n so.

I liked the baxi combi boiler we had in our last house, but got a condensing (potterton) one in this one.....annual check up and no problems for the past five years. The control panel self destructed in the combi boiler - the gas engineer said "they all do that sir" - the usual short life span of all singing and dancing electrics apparently.

Im a gas engineer on new build sites. Most sites use ideal logic boilers and in fairness they're pretty bullet proof. Relatively cheap to buy, economical and energy efficient to run and if anything does go tits up in the future the parts are readily available of the shelf and pretty low cost.... Ideal logic is what I'd use, they do them in combi and system models 👍

Worcester Bosch combi + Hive thermostat for me here too...largest size running 27 rads - apart from the one in our bedroom which I think is blocked as it never bloody warms up!

My gas engineer recommends Worcester Bosch.
Do you ever get yours serviced? The flame sensors are consumable and easy/cheap to replace. That was the fault with mine recently but he also cleaned a lot of crap out of the heat exchanged/condensate drain as well as doing a gas analysis.

Worcester Bosch combi + Hive thermostat for me here too...largest size running 27 rads - apart from the one in our bedroom which I think is blocked as it never bloody warms up!

Have you tried turning all the other radiators off except for the offending one? Normally radiators can be adjusted at both ends. (manually and with a screwdriver and spanner). This forces heat and water into just one radiator and clears blockages. This has worked for me many times.

Have you tried turning all the other radiators off except for the offending one? Normally radiators can be adjusted at both ends. (manually and with a screwdriver and spanner). This forces heat and water into just one radiator and clears blockages. This has worked for me many times.
Yep, earlier this week and it started to get warm a bit...I also last used a brass hose adaptor and hose out of the window to try to flush it. I think it is the last rad on the circuit and the heating is never on long enough for it to actually get warm before the thermostat turns the heating off...I am too tight to put the heating on for hours, the log burner warms up everywhere else!

Thanks for the tip though, sadly it hasn't solved it in this case.

Bleed every rad mate and if possible pick a day when you can flush the system out properly .Refill using the correct ad fluid and bleed again .Usualky only need the last rad bled but older rad systems need all done .

Nothing is built to last these days .We’ve had 10 years out of our glow worm ultracom but the last service guy said parts were very hard to come by now .He also said he’s installing stuff now that has a shelf life of 5 years max ? .
With the new gas issues coming into play it would be advisable to look into alternative fuels ie ground source and air pumps .The initial outlay is large but the long term is no gas bills that are set to rise massively .

Yep, earlier this week and it started to get warm a bit...I also last used a brass hose adaptor and hose out of the window to try to flush it. I think it is the last rad on the circuit and the heating is never on long enough for it to actually get warm before the thermostat turns the heating off...I am too tight to put the heating on for hours, the log burner warms up everywhere else!

Thanks for the tip though, sadly it hasn't solved it in this case.
A couple of firm taps with a mallet at the feed pipe could solve it - mine was blocked with crud and three taps sorted it!
🦊🦊

Back