Bolt cleaning?

Yorric

Tikka bolt strip T3 M595 M695 - YouTube

Strip the bolt as per the above, clean all the bits, check for signs of rust on the bolt inner parts & remove it if present, use a non-gumming oil & apply very sparingly to all parts, (blow off any excess with dry compressed air if possible) re-assemble as per You tube, grease the bolt lug bearing surfaces & rear cam bearers, clean the action bolt lug recesses & the job's done.

Ian

Ronin

Distinguished Member
Once stripped, clean and re- oil with LIGHT application to the mainspring.

I use Napier spray mostly.

A regular cleaning regime is better than none to prevent misfire from dirt ingress and moisture leading to rusty firing pin / main spring

swarovski

Ive gave my 22lr bolt a good scrape and brush but never done my cf rifles, I wipe them with a silicone cloth but never cleaned :oops:

Neumo

Great thread, will give that a try after dinner. Now I need to find a vid on doing the same for a Remmy 700 but I seem to remember that you needed a tool for that job...

Ronin

Distinguished Member
Great thread, will give that a try after dinner. Now I need to find a vid on doing the same for a Remmy 700 but I seem to remember that you needed a tool for that job...

Buy a bolt tool or use your shoelace to pull back the cocking piece so you can unscrew the shroud / pin assembly rearwards until its unscrews from the bolt body completely.

Theres a knack to it, but its easy to master.

Neumo

I did the T3 bolt last night, which was easy when you know how. So I will clean the inside of the bolt every once in a while from now on, along with the usual brush when cleaning the rifle after use.

I then found a bunch of Videos on YouTube about the Remmy 700 bolt removal, with the paracord loop or heavy plastic coated garden wire in a vice being the 2 most common ways of doing it. I have not done mine yet but it did not look too hard.

Interesting about storing the bolt in the uncocked state: in the rifle vs uncocked out of the rifle before storing in the ammo safe.

Yorric

Keeping the bolts away from the rifles makes for more security - slows down aquisition for misuse.

Graphite is mucky stuff to play with plus a good light non-gumming oil has corrosion inhibitors in it. A very fine film won't hold much crud.
Also if you keep the rifle cleaned regularly crud build up is not a real issue.

Ian

bewsher500

Most of my bolts are stored open so depending on whether cock on open or clock on close some are already "relaxed"...

wouldn't dream of storing them separately

Woodsmoke

I'm the same. Safest place for a rifle bolt is in the rifle. On mine I ease the spring by closing the bolt gently with the trigger depressed