Bolt lug recess cleaning mop?

toby9946

So when I was at the shooting show last month I saw a pack of disposable cleaning tools for cleaning the action, in particular the lug recesses.

It was basically just a bit of cotton wool on a twisted wire rod but I forgot to go back later in the day and buy some and can't for the life of me remember who it was selling them.

I know you can get the military style chamber phosphor brushes but was after a mop really.

Anyone have any ideas? Thanks, Toby

This?

Two options that work.

Ian

Thank you both, they all look like they'd do the job nicely!

I've got the Sinclair kit but no way will I pay Brownells, or indeed the manufacturer, c£5 + P&P for a few oblong felt wads that correspond with the bolt lug recesses.

Make your own.

K

Does anyone know where I can get 1 of those pro shot mops with a female thread to fit a Parker and hale rod as all seem to have male threads

Thanks all for some great ideas, this forum never disappoints with creative solutions!
Hi. You don't say what rifle you have? I have a Steyr CLII and this morning I cleaned the bolt lug recess in the chamber using a rod with dental swab, it was a tight fit but brought a lot of crud out. When I went to put the bolt back it wouldn't go in! I took the rifle to the gunshop and the gun 'Guru' scratched his head and said he'd seen it before about 20 years ago. He disappeared into his cave and 2 minutes later came back with a fixed rifle. The Steyrs have a plastic safety collar in the lug recess (don't ask). The twisting of the dental floss had rotated the collar preventing the bolt to engage the lug recess.
So for all the Steyr owners I suggest Muirs toothbrush on a long handle is the way forward!

Hi. You don't say what rifle you have? I have a Steyr CLII and this morning I cleaned the bolt lug recess in the chamber using a rod with dental swab, it was a tight fit but brought a lot of crud out. When I went to put the bolt back it wouldn't go in! I took the rifle to the gunshop and the gun 'Guru' scratched his head and said he'd seen it before about 20 years ago. He disappeared into his cave and 2 minutes later came back with a fixed rifle. The Steyrs have a plastic safety collar in the lug recess (don't ask). The twisting of the dental floss had rotated the collar preventing the bolt to engage the lug recess.
So for all the Steyr owners I suggest Muirs toothbrush on a long handle is the way forward!

I’ve got a Sako and a Tikka so should be okay, thanks for mentioning it though!

The Pro hunter is the same, it had me baffled for a bit too. The plastic rotating ring has a cut out that must be in certain alignment for the bolt to fit. At first I thought I had reassembled the bolt wrong. A cunning bit of engineering, glad you got it sorted.

The Pro hunter is the same, it had me baffled for a bit too. The plastic rotating ring has a cut out that must be in certain alignment for the bolt to fit. At first I thought I had reassembled the bolt wrong. A cunning bit of engineering, glad you got it sorted.
Thanks. After I got back from the gunsmith I found the destruction manual and at the back it mentioned that 'safety bush'! Doesn't tell you how to re-align it though!! Still don't know what it's supposed to be safe about. The gun guru also mentioned the cunning engineering with eyes rolled to heaven LoL.
Thanks again 'cos I reckon this post has put me in the bracket so's I can put my Spartan bipod up for sale in the classifieds :)

Back