Bone Saw Suggestions

I have used an Outdoor Edge Flip-n-Blaze saw and knife combo kit for a few years. The blades take a a razor edge, the complete package is very compact. The only negative was that the spring in the knife snapped year one. Outdoor Edge replaced that knife FOC.

The saw is excellent, although the slender metallic handle needs to be clean to achieve a good grip.

Instead of S-hooks, I now carry a cargo strap. It can be cinched around a leg to deliver a suspended gralloch, or pressed into service to drag a carcass.

IMG_5087.JPG

Thanks, it looks something to try. It looks fine since I tend to keep knives/saw in a butcher's scabbard in rucksack.

Yes and a.k.a. jab- or drywall saw, the pointed end is sharp and a plus, as is the large comfortable dual component handle, good reverse grip, 8 teeth per inch on this one.

Our internet search history probably has followed a similar path...

Your yellow handled one looks very neat and easy to clean. I've found cleaning grease etc out of folding ones a bore. That Camillus one though also looks neat - and I imagine all the more with your re-handling...

Would you mind posting what you make of it when it arrives?

It arrived.

Looks good so far.

577A1761-F688-4451-AF54-47D893526192.jpeg

084F9069-E189-4EBA-958C-C0E09E497D7B.jpeg

B8A97E42-9EFE-43B6-919E-B775F00912A6.jpeg

366039C9-D157-4676-904E-0896C481ABEA.jpeg

I have the Micarta and orange liners on order, so will re-handle at some point.

In the mean time I’ll try to get out this week and give it a test.

I have the Micarta and orange liners on order, so will re-handle at some point.
It does look good and a nice shape. Though to my inexperienced and and non-craftsman's eye, it looks a challenging shape to re-handle... and definitely something to be proud of.
Enjoy the test and the cleaning!!

It does look good and a nice shape. Though to my inexperienced and and non-craftsman's eye, it looks a challenging shape to re-handle... and definitely something to be proud of.
Enjoy the test and the cleaning!!

My re-handling will just be the basic shape and won't include the vast majority of the engravings that are on the current handle, which look to be there more for aesthetic than any practical reasons. So it will be plain, with the exception of the recess for the lock back and perhaps also to match the thumb-jimping on the spine of the blade. Anything else is likely beyond my skill level anyway.

Of course in my rush to order the OD green canvas micarta I ordered the "regular" length, which on measuring against the saw handle will clearly be too small. A typically stupid mistake, that I've made before and clearly not learned from.... :mad:

Some new micarta now on the way. The smaller micarta scales won't go to waste, even if it means buying another knife to re-handle :) The Orange G10 liners have been ordered from Amazon, but they have to ship from the US so won't be here for a couple of weeks.

Ha - oh dear, what a shame!!

I'll look forward to seeing the results of this one - hope you enjoy the process :)

PC

Well the saw itself is certainly effective - made very quick work of a young muntjac buck this morning. TBH it was overkill for the size of animal, but it was interesting to see how well it coped.

Snipped the tip of this one, short work on anything and the blade is more stable. It is a better fit for carry in a camelbak stalking bag than the Casstrom, just tuck it in vertically with a knife, and the handle more comfortable although decidedly cheap as.

Shortened blade.jpg

I find this approach makes the knife blunt, even on smaller species.

Hi Muddy. This has not been my experience but then I do have a very good knife. Maybe it would depend on the steel in your knife and or how sharp you want it to be.

I would sound a word of caution though. The process really need to be done while suspended and if the animal is large extra vigilance is needed to ensure you don't suddenly pass through the cartridge and yourself in the process. Maybe best with large animals to use a saw as it could be safer for those not experienced with this technique

Back