Book of condolence

Status
Not open for further replies.

Triggermortis

Whilst I agree with and support 100% having the thread on recent events in Plymouth closed down might I please request admin consider opening a book of condolence, at least it would allow those that wish to offer their sympathy to do so it would I assume prevent some of the more tasteless and disrespectful comments being added?

Leglas

I read the article in the guardian with a photo of the young man and his 3 year old daughter who died, and as someone with wee daughters myself, that does speak to you.
We here are arguably the most law abiding section of the population - the real threat of losing a hobby you love keeps you erring on the right side of the law on the rare occasion situations present. But reading the news and the concern about licence tightening here brings home very quickly that this is just a hobby, and in the wrong hands the tools we use can do far worse than you or I needing to take up a new pastime.

Highfield

that photo is probably the most upseting thing that i have seen for a long time. i would happily give up my guns and turn my back on shooting if it could bring her back but of course it cant. if it is true that the freak had his guns removed only to be given them back then the cc and flm need to be resigning or being sacked on monday morning.

Triggermortis

Please, with all due respect this is not a continuation of the closed thread and is not intended to reopen the subject for discussion, my post is a request for an SD sanctioned book of condolence and that is what I hope to see happen, if that is not possible then I will ask admin to close this thread

Tf223

Whilst I do not disagree with a book of condolence as a principle, is there not an element of bad taste. Albeit unintended.
If I had family members killed using a gun, the last thing I would want is a book from people who may be seen as having the agenda of wanting to keep their guns - albeit for genuine, legal, work and sporting reasons.
Personally - I think we’d be better to sign the public one if we feel the need to write. I expect the local council will have a public register, perhaps online.

Rasputin

Whilst I do not disagree with a book of condolence as a principle, is there not an element of bad taste. Albeit unintended.
If I had family members killed using a gun, the last thing I would want is a book from people who may be seen as having the agenda of wanting to keep their guns - albeit for genuine, legal, work and sporting reasons.
Personally - I think we’d be better to sign the public one if we feel the need to write. I expect the local council will have a public register, perhaps online.

Exactly my thoughts.

casper

In recent years there have been many incidents where there have been multiple fatalities. Why have a book of condolence for this incident and not the others. The only difference I can see is the involvement of a certificate holder.

Klenchblaize

Virtue-signalling gone bonkers.
I’m sure that wasn’t the Op’s intention but I have to agree that’s how the suggestion sits with me.

If one truly feels intense pain and sympathy for the bereaved of this tragic event find a mechanism unencumbered by the baggage that is a self-preserving agenda to convey it.

K

Fadcode

Although the OP's request is not without merit, and as most of us are Fathers, Grandfathers etc, and feel a lot of sympathy for the bereaved and their families, I would think that even a Book of Condolence coming from a Hunting fraternity would not at this time be welcomed or appreciated by the majority of local people and relatives.
Sometimes it is best to let those involved grieve in peace, without further complications, I am sure those who feel for those involved have said a prayer, or have in some way shown their respect and sorrow for what has happened, in their own way.
It really would be nice if our thoughts and prayers could be conveyed to those involved, but right now is not that time.

Status
Not open for further replies.