Boyd's rifle stocks?

twoseventy

I found Boyd's website a few months back, and their stocks look like good value for money (i think i've also seen one in the flesh).

Primarily i'm looking to change the hogue stock on my winchester model 70, but before i take the plunge i would like to know if anyone has taken the plunge and regretted it?

How much effect does does a good stock have on the accuracy of the rifle?

Nathan

Had 2 on a CZ and a Howa, nice looking and well finished but heavy and slippy when wet. If your rifle is shooting well in the Hogue stock you will probably see little if any improvement without bedding the new stock, if its the Hogue stock with the aluminium bedding i would keep that.

I found Boyd's website a few months back, and their stocks look like good value for money (i think i've also seen one in the flesh).

Primarily i'm looking to change the hogue stock on my winchester model 70, but before i take the plunge i would like to know if anyone has taken the plunge and regretted it?

Nathan

A good stock, in fit to the shooter and fit to the action, is very beneficial for accuracy. It can't be emphasized enough. I have a half dozen or better Boyd's stocks. They are good and a decent value. I always glass bed them right from the start. I figure it can't hurt.~Muir

I've thought about getting one as well. I've seen some photos of their stocks with chequering, end caps in contrasting wood, etc. It's a pity that they don't ship any of the fancier models abroad.

I recently put one on a friends Savage 112. Like Muir I glass bedded it. For the money ( $96 cdn plus shipping ) they are a good product. Its a lot better than the tupperware factory stock and according to its owner it shoots better in the Boyds laminate. I'd definitly buy another.

AB

Im a lefty and wanted a left handed stock for right handed rifle. (Howa) Found Boyds stock on the internet and after a good phone call with them. It arrived about 2 week later. Excellent stock and very happy with it. I just had to free float it a little more as it was touching barrel. Accuracy haven't changed. Yes, i would buy again.
Only down side you are limited to what you can spend. Believe its $99 as they won't ship anything of higher value. all in all with postage and customs it was around £120

Have one on my howa but again its been glass bedded. only thing i found was length of pull was a bit short for me (arms like an ape) but nothing a wee packing piece between the recoil pad and wood couldnt sort. I prefer the feel of wood and the hogue stock flexed at the forend. You may find you need to do a bit of wood work to make it fit but nothing a dremmel cant fix.
Dave

Nathan
Hi Nathan
I put one on my model 70 in Feb of this yearand not regreted it. Bedded in correctly ie glass bedding and you have a good value stock.

. I prefer the feel of wood and the hogue stock flexed at the forend. You may find you need to do a bit of wood work to make it fit but nothing a dremmel cant fix.Dave
the flex is one of the things that irritates me about the hogue stock! i've also got a jewel trigger fitted, and when this was installed the gunsmith told me he had to remove some material from my current stock to make it fit, so it looks like the boyd stock will need the same work done.I've just looked at glass bedding on you tube, and it seems pretty straight forward to do. I also found pillar bedding as well, is this worth the extra effort in improving accuracy (and risk of buggering up the stock if you get it wrong?), or does it not have the same benefits on a laminated stock?

I also found pillar bedding as well, is this worth the extra effort in improving accuracy (and risk of buggering up the stock if you get it wrong?), or does it not have the same benefits on a laminated stock?

Now my understanding of pillar bedding (and i stand to be corrected if im wrong) is that the pillars are put in to take the compression forces applied to the wood /plastic of the action screws. dont think this is so important with a laminated stock as the wood grain in each layer will run at angles to each other thus is less prone to compression.

But thats just my take on things.

D

I also found pillar bedding as well, is this worth the extra effort in improving accuracy (and risk of buggering up the stock if you get it wrong?), or does it not have the same benefits on a laminated stock?

Now my understanding of pillar bedding (and i stand to be corrected if im wrong) is that the pillars are put in to take the compression forces applied to the wood /plastic of the action screws. dont think this is so important with a laminated stock as the wood grain in each layer will run at angles to each other thus is less prone to compression.

D

That was the same thought I was having.

D

Its a fair point, I have thought about this quite a bit, laminate is solid, doesn't give, once bedded it won't move. I bedded a laminate stock Sunday using Devcon, it's spot on. I asked the question and got the suspected answer...if you intend to take the action out of the stock a lot use pillars, if not, don't bother.

Great thread. Been tempted to get a Boyds stock for Remmy, love the laminate stocks. Only thing that puts me off is my rifle is for stalking so the synthetic stock it currently has can get scratched and I won't care.

Great thread. Been tempted to get a Boyds stock for Remmy, love the laminate stocks. Only thing that puts me off is my rifle is for stalking so the synthetic stock it currently has can get scratched and I won't care.

​Laminate is pretty tough and any marks which you might get can be dealt with.

Back