Boykin spanniel

captain ken

Hi I’ve bought a cocker spaniel she’s now 23months and working to whistle and hand signals, bought her from the game keeper in Wales without paperwork, she’s grown and she’s certainly not a cocker, turns out that her mother was a Boykin spaniel from USA has anyone heard of this breed?71C649A8-900E-4AD4-A74B-FE2161FAACBB.jpeg1EAE6410-C222-448F-8F92-0960224E4525.jpeg71C649A8-900E-4AD4-A74B-FE2161FAACBB.jpegFAAA188C-A398-4084-AC19-BBEE3995BD7D.jpeg

she’s now 23months and working to whistle and hand signals
She looks just like my Sprocker who's coming up to 29 months and if he was doing the above then everyone on the forum would have heard about it by now. If you bought her without papers and she's working like that and a good looking dog then I reckon you are winning.

I wouldn't have thought Brittany since they have more orange in them than liver, they also like to do their own thing when working and at that age maybe be less likely to respond to hand signals would be my guess.

She was very easy to train. Took the advice the guy who I bought my old springer off chaukiy wolfs breeder mark whitehouse, the book I use is the learning chain by joe Irvine.

She was very easy to train. Took the advice the guy who I bought my old springer off chaukiy wolfs breeder mark whitehouse, the book I use is the learning chain by joe Irvine.

In my humble opinion you have taken good advice, read a good book, put the work in and got a great result. I know loads of people who yank your arm off for a dog like that (no pun intended) :rofl:

Enjoy her, she's a beauty.

IMG_0362.jpgThis is my Springer and Sprocker taking a breather from ar$ing about in the local woods (public, which is why they've got the collars on). See how similar your bitch is to my Sprocker?

A lad on another forum said he once contacted a bunch of Folk in the USA to enquire about a Boykin.

They told him why import one all the way from the USA, when the U.K. working cocker is almost the exact same dog.

They certainly look very similar. Appear to be a similar size, do a fairly similar job.

I’d more then bet their ancestry is very closely linked with someone taking dogs back and forth by boat in the good Ol days.

A kind of rare breed these days over here. They are good dogs though. A Boykin won an AKC championship a few years back.

Rosie is very happy I’m retired and I work her every day,only problem is that my l200 is FULL of dog hair,so I’ve been and bought a corsa and confine her to the boot which is a lot easier to clean!! My wife bought me a private plate for Xmas ( RO51MUT) talk about a spoiled dog?? Reads rosi mut lol

Rosie is very happy I’m retired and I work her every day,only problem is that my l200 is FULL of dog hair,so I’ve been and bought a corsa and confine her to the boot which is a lot easier to clean!! My wife bought me a private plate for Xmas ( RO51MUT) talk about a spoiled dog?? Reads rosi mut lol

She looks a cracking dog. Nice reg my cocker is called Rossi.

Back