Bright enough to read a newspaper..

parkyboy

There were clear skys over my permission last night and the moon came up full and bright enough to read a newspaper...i knocked the planned foxing trip on the head because of the conditions...I've been out on full moons before with out much success...so im wondering what you foxers think or do when its like daylight at night and have you had any succes etc...cheers Hugh.

foxhunter

It is not ideal but I have shot plenty under a full moon , you cant shoot them sitting in the house. Saying that I was out last night too and it was a waste of time, like daylight.

Robin

Out last night with a couple of clients, they shot a pricket each, there were deer everywhere wandering around as if it were the middle of the afternoon.
I saw a fox in with the cattle oblivious to anything and a second just wandering about the stubble, neither seemed bothered about the moonlight.

mealiejimmy

I was thinking the same when I sat out last night, but had only been there 10 minutes when one appeared and was promptly dispatched.
Sat for another 3 hours but didn't see any more.

Cheers

Bruce

sauer

As said can’t shoot em in house

If bright like that I prefer to hunker up in hedge or Similar and wait rather than walk and stalk ...

Helps if you have bait station in front of you for such occasions ...

Have shot them in broad daylight / summers evening so for me no such thing as too bright ... just need to change tack

Paul

parkyboy

In the past when I've gone out in full moonlight I've always tried to hide in the shadows of a hedge or tree line but i just feel im stuck out like a pimple on an elephants backside draging this shadow behind me...Having read your replys gentlemen i'll be out tonight having a crack...your quite right, you cant shoot them at home...Hugh.

riddick

It is not ideal but I have shot plenty under a full moon , you cant shoot them sitting in the house. Saying that I was out last night too and it was a waste of time, like daylight.
I can. right out to 300 with a safe backstop if necessary . I had 29 last year in addition to those I left the house for.

mealiejimmy

I can. right out to 300 with a safe backstop if necessary . I had 29 last year in addition to those I left the house for.
Agreed.
I have a pal whose upstairs bedroom window overlooks a field on which he has some baits.
He has his rifle/NV set up pointing out of the window ready to shoot
Each night, when the TV adverts are on, he nips upstairs and checks to see if a fox is at the baits.
If there is, he shoots it and then goes back downstairs to continue watching the telly.
Lazy, lucky bu**er

Cheers

Bruce

riddick

Agreed.
I have a pal whose upstairs bedroom window overlooks a field on which he has some baits.
Each night, when the TV adverts are on, he nips upstairs and checks to see if a fox is at the baits.
If there is, he shoots it and then goes back downstairs to continue watching the telly.
Lazy, lucky bu**er

Cheers

Bruce
I got it better than that Bruce,I don't watch tv programs at all I got the spotter wired to the tv, pc, or laptop, via a little gadget off the bay of evil. It has a record facility too, so doubles as a game cam/security device. I did think about a motorised pan and tilt,,but where do you stop? :-|

philip

I’ve got a couple of nice long valleys I’ll be sitting out tonight under a wide canopy tree, it never disappoints, like being on a picnic with no sun. :lol: Quite a nice chilled out night I Hope, probably only need my high seat cushion and a flask of soup, will take the swaro’s and the TI in case it gets really dark

Crow Man

I was also out last night, saw a couple at 400 yards + with no safe back stop, they were aware of me and just slipped into the undergrowth. It was that bright I didn’t need the IR on the NV.

plonker

Spent 6 hrs walking fields/hedgelines last night and what a waste of time!
Deathly quiet and still, plenty of deer about though.

foxhunter

Agreed.
Lazy, lucky bu**er

Cheers

Bruce
Not many of us have that luxury...

parkyboy

Went out last night though i left it till 4am as there was a promise of cloud cover coming in...there was 90% cover as i stepped on to my permission...i started to scan fields for charles keeping the wind in my favour feeling fairly confident as i played peek a-boo with the moon...some 2 and a half hours and 20+ fields later the sun was starting to come up so i jumped in the car and made my way home to tea and crumpets for breakfast....apart from spooking a deer in a small piece of woodland that id sneaked through to get to another field i saw nothing not even a rabbit but id enjoyed the walk and the dawn was quite nice to see looking out over the sea from the last field....H.

Longstrider

It proved to be a waste of time for us. Sat out and wandered the hedgerows of a permission that nearly always produces a fox or two and saw not a thing. Really not a thing .. no bunnies, no foxes, no badgers, no deer, not even a flipping hedgehog in sight anywhere. I'll be paying more attention to cloud cover and moon phase before I go out in future as this wasn't the first time the bright moonlight seemed to put the mockers on it for me.

foxhunter

I ventured out last night knowing the full moon but forecast very windy and cloudy so took .22 out for rabbits and shot 19 . It was too windy though and missed quite a few as was impossible to be steady on the sticks, but good fun.

sauer

I ventured out last night knowing the full moon but forecast very windy and cloudy so took .22 out for rabbits and shot 19 . It was too windy though and missed quite a few as was impossible to be steady on the sticks, but good fun.
19 bunnies is a fine amount to debone and mince up with some mid-shape bacon packs or pork belly say 70/30 bunnies to fat mix...
Throw in a bunch of seasoning 5% of meat weight and could have yourself some belting bunnie burgers

Paul

parkyboy

It proved to be a waste of time for us. Sat out and wandered the hedgerows of a permission that nearly always produces a fox or two and saw not a thing. Really not a thing .. no bunnies, no foxes, no badgers, no deer, not even a flipping hedgehog in sight anywhere. I'll be paying more attention to cloud cover and moon phase before I go out in future as this wasn't the first time the bright moonlight seemed to put the mockers on it for me.
im of the same mind longstrider...a dark windy night with a touch of rain in the air would be ideal i think....H

plonker

Monday night is looking grey and cloudy :thumb: with the rest of the week clear in the nights and just past a full moon!
Will have a look around Monday night:-|