British Shooting Show. Who's going?

tom

I went expecting last years show ; but was very disappointed ,felt it was much smaller not sure if it was but felt smaller ;
done by lunchtime ,big quest at all the food stalls ;went to the Witherspoon’s outside and the it was as busy if not busier ;
i had a free ticket so good day out but would have been disappointed if I had paid and I am visiting relatives so ok ;if I had travelled would have been ****ed off :
what are other people’s thoughts ? I shall look forward to the game fair ,

Scotty99

So I went along today. Having been to the show at Stoneleigh for the last four years I used to look upon this show as the best show around dedicated to all things shooting, so I was really looking forward to it being a the NEC this year. What a disappointment! Firstly long queue of traffic to get into the car park once on the NEC site. Walk from the car park to the halls took about twenty minutes, but still got there before the shuttle bus. Once at the halls the two queues to get your prepaid tickets scanned and get your wristband attached were about two hundred yards long. This was about nine fifteen and there were only about four people doing the scanning. At Stoneleigh you could drive right int the middle of the show ground and then have a five minute walk to the hall and straight inside for your full English right by the entrance. The show was in halls six, seven and eight which were opened up to give one large hall. Impressive you might think but it seemed to be much smaller than when at Stoneleigh. I know at Stoneleigh you had to walk from one hall into the next so this may have made it seem bigger, but I don't think so, I actually believe it is smaller. Set up was usual NEC show, bog standard food outlets burger and fries not the various food outlets you used to get at Stoneleigh. As for the show content the usual big gun and rifle brands were there along with the usual gun shops etc... unless you live locally or need to go to buy something specific you may want to think again. I bought a couple of mouth fox calls from Best Fox Call that was all. Overall very disappointed.

Last edited:

243 Stalker

Three hours drive down last night (Friday) stopped in a hotel close by and was looking forward to the new show venue having been at Stoneleigh the last few years and enjoyed it. As others have said I was expecting so much more what with the NEC being a premium venue, we had seen all there was to see in a couple of hours. On the plus side I achieved my shopping list and paid what I expected to pay with some small savings to be had. We left the show around 1:30pm and glad we did as the M1 North was getting very busy and that was only going to get worse. If the show is at the NEC next year I don’t think I will be venturing South again.

ATB 243 Stalker

Odders

I have a different perspective from the posts so far.
I arrived at the NEC at 08:45 & the holdup getting in to the car parks was all of 15 seconds (1N). Walk to the entrance to the halls was less than 5 minutes.
YES, they were late opening up the show but it was more like 10 minutes than 30.
There were certainly plenty of people in attendance, which made accessing the more popular stalls difficult, especially due to the dummies who chose to stand & chat with their pals in the middle of the aisles...
I found that any of the exhibitors I wanted to chat with were more than happy to do so & helpful to boot (It's gonna cost me £30,000 as now I REALLY am about fixed on an Isuzu Huntsman next year...).
There were shotguns & air rifles in abundance, with centre fire rifles less so but the market's smaller too.
What did surprise me was the small number of exhibitors of reloading supplies & equipment, with only two that I saw with propellant & projectiles & Edgars(?) with a good display of Hornady presses etc. where was the Lee, RCBS & Lyman product, or Hornady bullets?
I was there from opening until 15:30 & even ignoring the stands which held no interest, was occupied the whole time.
I may go back for a second run round tomorrow, or hit the Motorcycle Museum (my second passion).
Worth the money?
Probably, though it depends on how one views the £250 for two nights food & accommodation (& booze...) & £75 for diesel.
I see it as a mini holiday with entertainment so all in all give the trip a plus.

Last edited:

Scotty99

Three hours drive down last night (Friday) stopped in a hotel close by and was looking forward to the new show venue having been at Stoneleigh the last few years and enjoyed it. As others have said I was expecting so much more what with the NEC being a premium venue, we had seen all there was to see in a couple of hours. On the plus side I achieved my shopping list and paid what I expected to pay with some small savings to be had. We left the show around 1:30pm and glad we did as the M1 North was getting very busy and that was only going to get worse. If the show is at the NEC next year I don’t think I will be venturing South again.

ATB 243 Stalker
Agree with you 243. I think I'm done with this show if it's at the NEC again. Going to give the Game Fair a whirl as it's at Ragley and only half an hour from me.

Scotty99

ATB 243 Stalker
Agree with you 243. I think I'm done with this show if it's at the NEC again. Going to give the Game Fair a whirl as it's at Ragley and only half an hour from me.

enfieldspares

Thank you gentlemen for sharing your views. It has saved me wasting money on going. I am sorry that you didn't enjoy it but by sharing your disappointment you have spared me that upset.

Pointer

We went today. Ok day out, but £20 to get in is a bit steep considering it is basically a big space full
of stalls and only one display area. Chris Green Countryman was good to watch. Impressive calling for the marsh.

No bargains, but did buy some Enforcer decoys. Some very nice hand made knifes there and reasonably priced to.

Same old stalls, but ok. Won’t go next year if same place. Will head off to jagd and hund (Germany) again for lads weekend away. Great wildbore casserole at J & H which is worth the visit alone.

Pointer

I have a different perspective from the posts so far.
I arrived at the NEC at 08:45 & the holdup getting in to the car parks was all of 15 seconds (1N). Walk to the entrance to the halls was less than 5 minutes.
YES, they were late opening up the show but it was more like 10 minutes than 30.
There were certainly plenty of people in attendance, which made accessing the more popular stalls difficult, especially due to the dummies who chose to stand & chat with their pals in the middle of the aisles...
I found that any of the exhibitors I wanted to chat with were more than happy to do so & helpful to boot (It's gonna cost me £30,000 as now I REALLY am about fixed on an Isuzu Huntsman next year...).
There were shotguns & air rifles in abundance, with centre fire rifles less so but the market's smaller too.
What did surprise me was the small number of exhibitors of reloading supplies & equipment, with only two that I saw with propellant & projectiles & Edgars(?) with a good display of Hornady presses etc. where was the Lee, RCBS & Lyman product, or Hornady bullets?
I was there from opening until 15:30 & even ignoring the stands which held no interest, was occupied the whole time.
I may go back for a second run round tomorrow, or hit the Motorcycle Museum (my second passion).
Worth the money?
Probably, though it depends on how one views the £250 for two nights food & accommodation (& booze...) & £75 for diesel.
I see it as a mini holiday with entertainment so all in all give the trip a plus.

If around on Sunday, check out the Birmingham Arms fair. It is at the National Motorcycle Museum. A great fair if you like your history. Good collection of WW2 dealers, including live WW1 & WW2 rifles and deacts.

deeangeo

It’s such a shame that IWA in Nurnberg is trade only ..
I went a few years ago with a good friend in the trade & it’s likely the biggest of its kind in Europe.
Great and keeps you fully occupied for at least two full days.
Several of the Ferlach gunmakers there and ooooodles of other stuff both plain & mouth watering!

A show like that here in UK? Not a chance!
Still, like as not I’ll go tomorrow and see what there is.

Last edited:

ejg

We took an early flight into Birmingham. NEC is possibly the easiest event for us to visit as we can fly home in the evening again. Soon after opening the hall filled so much that one sometimes could not get where one wanted to. Numbers dropped rapidly in the afternoon. The larger rifle manufacturers had very nice stands and one could get good info. It seems as if there is a new push on the Howa front. The new Mauser M18 seems to be a re-badged Sauer 100, why so much fuss? It is old...
Kahles had the new range finding binos. For what they are they are very light. Would be interesting to here from others on the optical qualities of them.
I spent some time at Brock & Norris stand which had a good display of lightweight stalking rifles right up to heavy tactical rigs. They were very busy all day. Met Dave from Valkyrie rifles for the first time at the AI stand which had a good display as well as enough staff to answer questions.
I was hoping to pick up a few small things like a Picatinny rail to fit to a stock etc. but had no joy.
edi

Scotty99

One thing I found odd on Friday was the ATN stand. A really big corner stand decked out in the ATN red and black colours with big ATN signs above it, but completely empty, nothing and no one on it. Was it in operation on Saturday or Sunday? Surley you wouldn't pay for three days stand fees and only use two. Did they pull out at the last minute? Are they in financial difficulties? Really strange.

mealiejimmy

The ATN stand was manned today and had a selection of NV and thermal kit. They also had small dark tunnel at the back of the stand (maybe 6-8 metres long) where some of the kit could be tried out.
I tried the new X Sight 4K Pro and when I tried to use it in the dark tunnel with an IR illuminator on full power, I could see exactly nothing.
I asked the ATN rep what I was doing wrong, and the very curt reply was that the scope was new and "it did not yet have the NV software installed"
To which I would say "Bulls**t".
They also had a thermal with about a 75mm lens which was producing the worst thermal image I've ever seen.
The entire display had a pink tinge, there was a burned in ghost image of some metal trusses and behind that, the image of what the scope was actually looking at.
So, despite having a large stand and their name alongside the event name at every entrance, their kit still disappoints.
I'm planning to go back to the show tomorrow, I'll give their kit another more extensive try before making any final comments

Cheers

Bruce

paul o'

Bloody hell wot a crap place to hold it at , We got there and had to walk along with around 15 other guys all the way around the hole estate as some **** told us to go to the left ??? only a 30min walk grrr :banghead: . So we got there and were told go stand there get your band sorted and wait , "how long is the wait feller " oh around 45 mins :eek: well feck that so off for a coffee we trot oh sorry aka ( A good hand thrusting at the till ) sat around then came out and the Q' was right around the hall both ways OMFG :eek: who sorted that one out ? why not open another set of doors so after another long standing chain gang walk of doom we get in and its small i would say 1/2 the normal size of show all in one hanger as it were or it felt much like it . Deals yup i got one on a scope from a dealer on this site by the name of
Cluny Country Store
Sorted out by #1 son or as his dad said the Boss lol what a nice lad he is :thumb: and yet again they beat all the others hands down and to add to my good fortune The Chap on the Zeiss stand said "you buy one of them and i'll give you some bits to make your day" :rolleyes: so after i had done the deal i shot back see the lad on the stand who said he was going to make my day lol. He then gave me a cleaning thing and a power pack pen sticker thing to hold a credit card So then i said what about one of the Zeiss scope covers yup here you go then i said ok thanks and said any flip up covers chancing my arm i feel but hmmm he said turned away and handed me a box with one in :D so flip cover £95 and a scope sock thing say £40 ? FREE OF CHARGE :smug: So yup my day at the NEC turned out just fine after a bad start .

Last edited:

8x57

Distinguished Member
What an improvement on the old venue. The only negatives as far as I could see was the 15 wait for the doors to open this morning and the narrow aisles which caused log jams occasionally. Oh and then there was an objectionable little man from Essex that I bumped into almost as soon as we got in through the doors.:rofl:

Some good kit on show and the representatives from the manufacturers and importers were happy to discuss their products with you. A productive and enjoyable day out for me and my pal.

Scotty99

The ATN stand was manned today and had a selection of NV and thermal kit. They also had small dark tunnel at the back of the stand (maybe 6-8 metres long) where some of the kit could be tried out.
I tried the new X Sight 4K Pro and when I tried to use it in the dark tunnel with an IR illuminator on full power, I could see exactly nothing.
I asked the ATN rep what I was doing wrong, and the very curt reply was that the scope was new and "it did not yet have the NV software installed"
To which I would say "Bulls**t".
They also had a thermal with about a 75mm lens which was producing the worst thermal image I've ever seen.
The entire display had a pink tinge, there was a burned in ghost image of some metal trusses and behind that, the image of what the scope was actually looking at.
So, despite having a large stand and their name alongside the event name at every entrance, their kit still disappoints.
I'm planning to go back to the show tomorrow, I'll give their kit another more extensive try before making any final comments

Cheers

Bruce
Bruce, thanks for the update. The ATN stand was one I was looking forward to getting a go with some of their new kit. So disappointed the stand was not up and running on Friday. This is not the first time they have launched products that needed immediate software upgrades. Their first X-Sight was a classic case. I did try the Pulsar Helion Thermal spotters the 19, 38 and 50, I thought they were all really impressive.

Ian,

Odders

If around on Sunday, check out the Birmingham Arms fair. It is at the National Motorcycle Museum. A great fair if you like your history. Good collection of WW2 dealers, including live WW1 & WW2 rifles and deacts.
I visited the motorcycle museum this morning, courtesy of a "half price entry" flyer on the seat of the Rocket Gold Star on BSA's stand.
Sadly I was time limited & had to be back here in Cumbria today.
I've the exclusive use of an Ishapore SMLE chambered in 7.62x51 when over the Pond & a copious amount of OFV ammunition with which to feed it (cost me the equivalent of 3p a round back in 2007...) & never fail to enjoy shooting it.