British TV mysteries?

captdavid

I'm a born and bred Texan, retired high school history. I have an interest in English history from William I through the Stuarts. I'm also a huge fan of British TV mysteries. The current ones ie Midsomer Murders, Endeavour, Death in Paradise(if it qualifies) and the new Father Brown. I also like the older Frost and Morse etal. I also enjoy British historical fiction, Sharpe's Rifles among others. Does anyone share my interests? capt david

Roro

I'm a born and bred Texan, retired high school history. I have an interest in English history from William I through the Stuarts. I'm also a huge fan of British TV mysteries. The current ones ie Midsomer Murders, Endeavour, Death in Paradise(if it qualifies) and the new Father Brown. I also like the older Frost and Morse etal. I also enjoy British historical fiction, Sharpe's Rifles among others. Does anyone share my interests? capt david
Yes i love Morse, Heartbeat, Sherlock Holmes with Jeremy Brett NOT with that prat cucumber-patch. Tinker tailor with Alec Guinness, Brideshead revisited with Anthony Andrews, the World at War series made in the 70's, Anything made by Dan Cruickshank or Simon Schama, The BBC Shakespere collection is good, as is any of the Dickens plays they made, Rumpole of the Bailey is another favorite of mine, with the brilliant Leo McKern.

Sadly the television stations are not making really good programmes like this anymore, they have completely dumbed down, and also become a sanctimonious preachy media.

Finch

Me too. All of the above.
Also a big fan of Vera. Watching it now. Good story lines and you get to see the Northumberland landscape.

Finch

I had a friend thought about downsizing to a life in the countryside. Midsomer. But the thought of all the murders they had their put him off.
If it's the proper sticks with shite everywhere, snotty kids, dogs barking and washing on the line, he'll be fine. If its all £million houses, Audis and idiots in red corduroys, he'll be killed.

Roro

Personally, I'd rather read the books when it comes to things like Sherlock Holmes etc.
I've read them all, but the jeremy brett series was extremely well made and with excellent actors.

VSS

I've read them all, but the jeremy brett series was extremely well made and with excellent actors.
Having never had a TV, the number of things I've seen, rather than read, is admittedly very limited, but whenever I do happen to see a film or televised version of a book that I enjoyed reading I'm always rather disappointed.

Roro

Having never had a TV, the number of things I've seen, rather than read, is admittedly very limited, but whenever I do happen to see a film or televised version of a book that I enjoyed reading I'm always rather disappointed.
I tend to agree, but the british television adaptions of the 70's, 80's and early 90's were excellent. I read brideshead revisited years ago, before i seen the series, and thought the series excellent.

What else ? The singing detective with Michael Gambon. Pennies from heaven with Bob Hoskins.

Comedy ? Dads Army, absolutely love it, Get some in, and till death us do part.

finnbear270

Armchair theatre ... 39 steps, Sherlock with Basil Rathbone or Peter Cushing, .. Anything with Alec Guiness, Danger UXB , .. Van Der Valk, Dragnet, .. I could put more.

Pedro

Some gentle comedy does it for me. Early Doors and Detectorists are both good. But I do like the odd detective type series. The wife likes Poirot, but I think I've seen every episode multiple times now, so try to give that a miss. I agree that there isn't the quality of programme making there was in decades gone by, quantity-wise, but it's not all doom and gloom. Luther for example, or Mrs Wilson, a 3 part series about a woman married to a sometime spy and bigamist in WW2.

Roro

Armchair theatre ... 39 steps, Sherlock with Basil Rathbone or Peter Cushing, .. Anything with Alec Guiness, Danger UXB , .. Van Der Valk, Dragnet, .. I could put more.
Danger uxb is excellent, its also being repeated on forces tv.

The duchess of duke street is very good and is one of those amazing stories based on a real person.

Campion with peter davison is enjoyable if you like 1930's crime dramas.

Cootmeurer

Here in the US, usually on the PBS channel you can catch two UK Mystery/Police series.

First is Broadchurch - a reasonably interesting series, especially the first season.
Second is Shetland - also a reasonable interesting series.

Lastly, not a history/mystery at all, but Farming the Wild on the Outdoors Channel, is a Brit Chef that is also a stalker that has a series that I might describe as Meateater goes to the UK. Did an interesting CWD stalk then grilled it up in camp.

gonzo

If it's the proper sticks with shite everywhere, snotty kids, dogs barking and washing on the line, he'll be fine. If its all £million houses, Audis and idiots in red corduroys, he'll be killed.
Sounds's like a friend's smallholding. Last year he had a new shotgun to show me (sect 1 semi auto). And we spent the afternoon shooting up a ford fiesta before the scrap man took it. Very red neck!
But the house at the end of his track is a prat with a big house and picture postcard expectations. As you can imagine, there are regular clashes!