Buck fever . . .

It happened to me for the first time tonight. After a three hour wait tucked into a gorse-lined forest edge, 'my' buck finally emerged from the forest edge. I call him 'The Ghost' as he has a very pale coat, and he's so elusive it's as though he's made of nothing more than mist and imagination. I missed him a month ago, and in my imagination he's just got bigger and bigger. Every time I've been out since with the rifle he's eluded me, despite me seeing him several times, but tonight I had another opportunity. At the sight of him though, my heart started beating so hard I was sure he'd be able to hear it even over the roaring in my ears. I finally got it under control, set up for the shot off sticks at around 180 yards. And missed. I am absolutely gutted.

I think I have to give him grace from now on. Taking another shot at him just doesn't seem fair somehow . . . .
Sounds like great breeding stock to me but then I'm not a trophy hunter.

Come on mate, you are. It's not a problem, it's your land but have said plenty of times that you target the big boys. That makes you a trophy hunter! Deer managers leave all of the big ones because they protect the trees from damage by keeping the youngsters away.
I've never been convinced that that is true. Just an old stalkers tale so he has an excuse to leave bucks.

I shoot everything I see, big or small and it doesn't really seem to have any effect on damage to my hedgerows.

Those youngsters have to go somewhere.

Come on mate, you are. It's not a problem, it's your land but have said plenty of times that you target the big boys
No, that's not what I've said at all. I've said I want to thin out the older bucks to let the youngsters come on as the place hasn't been managed at all for decades. Whether those older bucks are large, small, or purple with orange spots makes no difference whatsoever. If they happen to have good heads on them, that's merely a bonus . . .

No, that's not what I've said at all. I've said I want to thin out the older bucks to let the youngsters come on as the place hasn't been managed at all for decades. Whether those older bucks are large, small, or purple with orange spots makes no difference whatsoever. If they happen to have good heads on them, that's merely a bonus . . .
Come on Woodsmoke, you're kidding no one! The buck you describe clearly isn't one that a deer manager would spend 3 hours on if they simply wanted to thin out the population. It would appear to be one of the best bucks on the place and in his prime. By shooting him you will potentially open up the territory for a poorer and unworthy buck to take over. That's not good deer management, it's trophy hunting. The rack on his head is clearly the reason that you're targeting him. That's 100% your choice but please don't try to take us for fools!

Last edited:
I've taken deer well over 200 off the trigger sticks with this rifle. It was a hilar shot I was taking, but I probably snatched it and the bullet went over him. If it wasn't a shot I was confident I could take, I wouldn't have taken it. The thread is meant to highlight what buck fever will do to you, rather than anything else. As usual though, the caveat 'within your abilities' applies. Range was 'around' 180 yards as I was getting between 175 and 180 on the laser
Get some quads 👍

It happened to me for the first time tonight. After a three hour wait tucked into a gorse-lined forest edge, 'my' buck finally emerged from the forest edge. I call him 'The Ghost' as he has a very pale coat, and he's so elusive it's as though he's made of nothing more than mist and imagination. I missed him a month ago, and in my imagination he's just got bigger and bigger. Every time I've been out since with the rifle he's eluded me, despite me seeing him several times, but tonight I had another opportunity. At the sight of him though, my heart started beating so hard I was sure he'd be able to hear it even over the roaring in my ears. I finally got it under control, set up for the shot off sticks at around 180 yards. And missed. I am absolutely gutted.

I think I have to give him grace from now on. Taking another shot at him just doesn't seem fair somehow . . . .
Wonder what he'd taste like?

Did you actually check with a dog aswell . Just to be certain you really missed.
As you said you thought you were smack on and you’ve shot many deer out to 200+ in the past.
This deer you did think was dead but walked off after standing there .
I’ve seen many a miss that showed no sign to shot reaction and nothing found at the shot site .
That turned out to be a dead deer 40m-150 m from where it was shot at .
I do hope you get to see him again soon otherwise you might regret not taking that follow up shot .
But also in the same moment , no one is immune to buck fever either..
it happens a lot 👍

Back