Budget thermal for picking up

Fursty Ferret

Looking for options on a budget thermal for locating and picking up shot rabbits.
I dont need to be able to see proverbial fleas on its ass (and wouldnt expect too with a budget unit). I just need it to pick up a heat source over a couple of hundred yards.
Are the older flir units worth a look.
As stated, I dont need/expect amazing quality image....just needed for finding shot game.
As a result I dont want to have to spend much. Certainly well under £1k
Any suggestions? Not interested in mobile phone ad ons

.243Hunter

Avoid the Leupold its rubbish.

Theres a lot of choice on the market currently. Nothing will beat an Axion Key XM30 at its price point of £1289. Yes its not as good as a Helion XQ38 but thats nearly double the price. It has neigh on identical detection range, 12 micron vs 17 micron , up close its slightly lower resolution that the 17 micron 380 res Helion, being 12 micron 320 resolution, but at a longer distance theres not much in it. During the warmer periods they work but there not as good as a Helion, but now temperatures have dropped they are really good for the money. In fact it's amazing how much the temperature has improved the image, on black hot they look brilliant.

The smaller eye display and removed features like WIFI and recording is were the money has been saved. I found folding the rubber eye piece back on itself bringing the screen closer to your eye, made the display look much larger and better and it just feels more comfortable especially if you wear glasses also......any Axion Key users try it, you will prefer it !

For anyone who has tried one and looking at the more expensive models wasn't that struck... try one again alongside an XQ38F on a good thermal night baring in mind its half the price nearly, I think you will be pleasantly surprised..

I'd quite happily use one no problem, yes spend more get better quality but your not going to spot more than you would with one of these in reality and they are so compact.
Theres nothing anywhere that can compete with a Key at the same price point, They are a bargain for the cost and with 3 year warranty.

Bramble

Have you tried one yet to find a dead rabbit, you might find its not as good as you think, I use the xq50 for foxing, if there's any length of grass, even stubble, they don't show up like you think they would, might be worth borrowing one before spending your hard earned, cheers

kennyc

Looking for options on a budget thermal for locating and picking up shot rabbits.
I dont need to be able to see proverbial fleas on its ass (and wouldnt expect too with a budget unit). I just need it to pick up a heat source over a couple of hundred yards.
Are the older flir units worth a look.
As stated, I dont need/expect amazing quality image....just needed for finding shot game.
As a result I dont want to have to spend much. Certainly well under £1k
Any suggestions? Not interested in mobile phone ad ons
for what you want, an older Flir will probably do just fine, in fact in stubble a seek reveal at £300 will do the job and has a handy flashlight built in! bear in mind you are talking about close range high angle of view to see a shot bunnie in long grass, and a wide field of view is a great help. the newr £1-2K units are far superior but also overkill for your stated purpose, great if you want to see a fox or deer at 100's of metres range, but not really anymore usefull for spotting the bunnies at your feet.

norma 308

Excactly wha
Have you tried one yet to find a dead rabbit, you might find its not as good as you think, I use the xq50 for foxing, if there's any length of grass, even stubble, they don't show up like you think they would, might be worth borrowing one before spending your hard earned, cheers
just what I was thinking I’ve had to go back in the am to pick a few Fox’s I couldn’t find after the shot with nv and thermal

Chasey

Flir 240 res Mk1 especial y when branded as Ray marine. Should be able to get one around 500-600 second hand and it will easily do the job. I used my one for tracking lost animals, deer and fox shooting and it was more than adequate being able to detect deer and fox further away than I could reasonably shoot them and easily picking up blood trails. All you get with the more expensive units is better definition and even longer range. Nice but not really essential though the added definition makes picking out well hidden animals a easier.

The base modle scout in raymerine form can be had for £560 brand new (160 res) and I am sure it would do the job you require

Tim.243

Quite,they are not superman x-ray eyes. Fantastic bits of kit but what was standing sitting is know lying on the deak. A fox body is only 5" wide but 20" ish tall when sitting...love my xq38. Shot fox by a straw row in harvest dead as a nit, had to walk past the thing to find it...

Tim.243

foxdropper

I have both the xq38 and the axion now and the axion is definitely worth the money ,only draw back is the short battery life on constant use .

paul o'

I'v seek but you need to find the spot you lost it first , then there good to go but not on par with the big boys toys I can easy see sheep heat at 50ydrs