Building a high-seat?

BRACES of Bristol - Mauser M12 with Schmidt & Bender 2.5-10x56 Illuminated Scope

Baldrick

I've just pulled down a (vacant) timber-framed building on the farm, leaving me with a lot of joists, rafters and other long lengths of good-quality timber. I don't want to burn it, when it could be put to good use for constructing several permanent high-seats. I use a portable aluminium high-seat at present, which creaks at the slightest movement.

I imagine many stalkers on here have gone down the self-build route. The legs/ladder section I can knock up easily, but the bracing, seat and rifle rest parts require some thought. I'd be really interested in any photos or descriptions anyone has on building high-seats.

Any advice would be welcome!

BP75

Image006.jpg

This is a wooden High seat I have.

I also use portable metal seats but the wooden seat does give you a little luxury and seats two people.
Yes maintenance is an issue with them but half a day a year repainting and checking general condition is not too much for anyone.

The added bonus of a seat like this is that I have a locking door which helps prevent unwanted guests from getting into the seating area.

Let me know if you want measurements etc.

All the best

Ben

Baldrick

That's a neat and robust-looking hide, Ben. At this stage I'm just going to build some lean-to seats. A stand-alone hide will be a project for later in the year.

devilishdave

Ben,

That is acracking looking seat, I have used somthing similar (slightly higher) more akin to a machine gun nest at a POW camp in the past and was trying to think of the best way to describe it. great in the bad weather and spaciouse.

I make my own seats out of metal but may try knocking somthing like that up in the future.

022.jpg

P1010023.jpg

Dave

jack

Err, here is one I made earlier.
4x2 tanelised timber. 60cm long steps, with 1/8" rebate into the rails to hold the steps. Need to be careful to get the seat height right for your height. I later added another member at the rear of the seat, the bit that touches the tree half way up between the top and bottom ones.
Metal ones are a lot lighter and will last longer if you have a welder.

http://s194.photobucket.com/albums/z129/jackgrudgings/?action=view&current=highseat2.jpg

wadashot

This is a double free standing highseat that i built out of 1" box section steel. I also built 2 lean too`s, same as above but obviously without the back legs.
I have built quite a few now, 2 for stone only a few months ago.
js800_2007_0611photosholidayegypt00.jpg

wadas

Xim

this a preliminary sketch of an idea i had, i wanted something to last all weathers you know..

highseat.jpg

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D

remmy7

Ben

How long have you been using this high seat. I ask as we have around about a dozen of these on our ground, they are all mounted at the top of four old telegraph poles and have hinged flaps over the slots. They, just as yours, are excellent to use the only problem we have is that occasionally a flap is left open and before we know it they are out of use as they have been turned into very large nesting boxes by the local Owl population. I believe you are in Fife so it may be prudent to have some sort of closure to avoid this problem.

Regards Pete.

BP75

I have been using these types of high seats for some time since first using/seeing them on Forestry Commission ground.
We have a large amount of nesting boxes on the farm specifically for owls which seems to provide them with just what they are after, so I have yet to have any problems in that department.
Regarding measurements for the above I will try and get dimensions etc together, unfortunately the weather here at the moment is not encouraging me to venture out with the tape measure.

JAYB

Administrator
Site Staff
Ben, it would be easier to post the buggers that way there will be a permanent record of them. It may even encourage others to post details, it could become the Ikea of high seats :D

John

Bandit Country

JAYB said:
Ben, it would be easier to post the buggers that way there will be a permanent record of them. It may even encourage others to post details, it could become the Ikea of high seats :D

John

I hope not. I would end up with two bits and three screws left over and the bloody thing would fall down as soon as I sat in it! :lol:

243varmint

Bandit Country said:
JAYB said:

John

I hope not. I would end up with two bits and three screws left over and the bloody thing would fall down as soon as I sat in it! :lol:

AS long as i wasn't standing under it
:lol: :lol:
Jonathon

UK Outfitters