bullets from canada in lugagge

UK Outfitters

david1976

Am heading off to Canada tonight for a fortnight's holiday (no hunting but some sturgeon fishing).

Can anyone who has done, please explain what paperwork, charges apply to me if I return with bullets (not the full round just the bullet at the end) Looking to purchase some barnes whilst im over as they are a lot cheaper.

My firearms officer was useless when I asked and I would need a first class honours degree in complicated bull**** to understand the HMRC web****e.

ps Have also persuaded SWMBO that a day trip over the border so that I can visit cabelas is a good idea so hopefully some new kit on my return :D:thumb:

paul o'

+1
request the info from your airline , and just don't bring back over the amount or cals as per your cert back get a sum A- max and resell it to help pay your cost's ?
i think basc published a paper ! call them

And a big lockable case
Take an EMPTY lugagge case!

Munty1

Take your FAC just in case customs or the airline get a little confused as to whether you can hold them.

Andrew

I've brought bullets back from the US quite a few times and have never had a problem, I put them in the suit case in the hold, just remeber dont go over the allowance if there expanding.

Andrew

Eyefor

Bullets do not need to be declared on departure or on arrival in UK

Full rounds do - on departure (should be pre-booked with the airline to make sure) and on arrival in UK. However, if you can persuade the guys in the red channel to complete your FAC then you are a better man than I, Gunga Din

Just pack in a checked in case and keep your receipts to show usage to your FLO on renewal.

When it was $2.09 to the £ things were very cheap. No so much now at $1.50?

Iain

PS. As already stated definitely take your FAC with you & do not exceed your FAC holding quantity per calibre.

Last edited:

8x57

Distinguished Member
paul 'o mentioned locking your case. I think that it was previously recommended by the U.S. customs and border protection authorities that cases should be unlocked or have an aproved locks that they are able to open. If this wasn't complied with they would force cases open.
Now I may be wrong on this but it would be worth checking if this is still the case and also the case with Canada also.

Eyefor

paul 'o mentioned locking your case. I think that it was previously recommended by the U.S. customs and border protection authorities that cases should be unlocked or have an aproved locks that they are able to open. If this wasn't complied with they would force cases open.
Now I may be wrong on this but it would be worth checking if this is still the case and also the case with Canada also.

You are correct.

If case locks are not TSA approved then TSA will smash the locks to get in to the case.

You only forget once......(fortunately my case locks were replaced free by Samsonite under their "lifetime warranty". I tried to pay explaining it was my fault & they would not let me).

paul o'

sorry yes feller ment lockable but opened on request saves the light fingers at orlando int airport i found and can prove theft once back in the uk !!

wannabecanuck

Unlike the States you need an fac to buy ammo in Canada. Your uk one wont be accepted by canadian gun stores. Canada customs will issue you a temp fac if you are bringing a hunting rifle into the country but you say your just going fishing? And don't try to bring any ammo or gun parts from the us to Canada either, it is illegal even with an fac and there are way too many horror stories!

pm me if you want more info. I live part of the year in BC.

Jagged77

I brought a load of bullets back when I was last over, packed them up well inside the case. The contents were opened and checked by the US authorities after I checked the luggage. I took my FAC just in case I had issues back on arrival. Buy as many bullets as you can, FAC ammunition allowance refers to LOADED rounds, not components.

8x57

Distinguished Member
I brought a load of bullets back when I was last over, packed them up well inside the case. The contents were opened and checked by the US authorities after I checked the luggage. I took my FAC just in case I had issues back on arrival. Buy as many bullets as you can, FAC ammunition allowance refers to LOADED rounds, not components.

Not in the case of expanding bullets Jagged.

8x57

Distinguished Member
You certainly won't get me disagreeing on that one mate, " a total nonsense".

BSAvale

Can't help any further on the bullets but I hope you do well on the sturgeon...I went in 2006 and fished the Fraser and the Harrison for the sturgeon and salmon-awesome place. Sturgeon to 440lbs and salmon to 50lb on the fly...I am dying to go back there...as a taster for you:

7cde1d41.jpg

dogtired

Check airline rules.
for example, Delta do not accept TSA locks on anything containing firearms or ammunition. I found this to my own expense after buying 4 TSA locks for taking my rifle to the US last year

There is no need to have a lockable case, just throw them in your luggage

There is no need to take your FAC. Customs have access to the FAC database and, if they are going to pull you, will have all the relevant details of allowances etc infront of them before you even get to the luggage pick up point.
Just make sure you are under your FAC allowance (inc what you already have at home) and you will be fine

1967spud Reloading Supplies Ltd - UK Suppliers for Reloading Equipment supplies, We also stock Bullet Heads and Bullet Cases Guns Cabinets, Night vision and much much more...