Bullets

Namman

Why do I keep seeing bullets described as 'projectiles'?
Because that is what they are, they are projected. I am sure it is from the latin (proicio) to throw out. Anything that can be thrown is a projectile, even vomit.
The general public call rifle rounds "bullets", the name "projectiles" avoids this.

steve sxs

Because that is what they are, they are projected. I am sure it is from the latin (proicio) to throw out. Anything that can be thrown is a projectile, even vomit.
The general public call rifle rounds "bullets", the name "projectiles" avoids this.
You will never hear the bullet that kills you, A projectile for the General, steve mac queen in Projectile, doesn't really sound wright

Grannysmith

It is a bullet pure and simpler can just see my old sergeants face if we had called them projectiles, sticking to the correct term would have avoided misunderstanding and confusion

Namman

Actually , all bullets are projectiles, but not all projectiles are bullets. I am sure your old sergeant would agree with that, or perhaps he wouldn't?
Must remember to order some .308 projectiles tomorrow.
Well the question did require answering!

Sampo

Is anyone going to the range tomorrow to test their projectile launcher skills and maybe check if the projectiles are reaching their intended distance with a sufficient energy to be able to humanely put to sleep any fallow deer with horns as their season is about to commence.

Nope even whisky doesn't help cope up with woke speak.