Burying Heads

I’ve seen a few Germanic roe heads (skulls) that for all the world appear to have been polished and exhibit an ivory-like finish. Is this actually a result of spraying with a resin-like solution?

K

I’ve seen a few Germanic roe heads (skulls) that for all the world appear to have been polished and exhibit an ivory-like finish. Is this actually a result of spraying with a resin-like solution?

K
Were they actually real heads, or prosthetics used for displaying cast antlers? They're made from some kind of resin I guess, so might explain the unnatural finish you observed?
I'm only speculating here, as I've never really had a look at them close up.

Whilst living back at my home house I buried a fallow prickett (1st I ever shot) in the suburban garden.

Went out 6 months later to dig it up to find a hole and no skull. I can only imagine the horror on the face of some Bramhall housewife as she opened the curtains one morning to find a rotten deer head on her lawn.

These days I just hang them on a tree, I put a large fallow on top of the tin wood shed and he cleaned out nicely over a year. Not many foxes out the back of my house though :)

How long do people normally bury them for?
I buried a couple as an experiment a fair few
Months ago and still not clean on brain ect.

It’s so easy to skin boil pressure wash and bleach. Not sure buried head any advantage and probably not as white at the end

Back