Busy weekend in Chicago, 65 shot, 10 killed.

NullMac

Perhaps if everyone had them, the perceived Increased risk of aggravating someone would create a more polite society?
Have you ever watched the documentaries about people buying weapons on the back of the latest "scare". The people who are buying them (who made the cut into the film) were mainly a danger to themselves

As to the other points rather than honking on about the causes, spend some time with Google and review the statistics in depth.

A Guy Out West

Any particular demographic to these shootings by any circumstance ? ie - black, white, Hispanic, gang/drug related, age related ? Does this include police shootings ? Just curious.
Try
99 percent black on black. That number is just citizens shooting citizens.

A Guy Out West

Nah, the reason is much simpler and very obvious to anyone who thinks the second amendment is daft
TOO MANY GUNS IN THE HANDS OF TOO MANY PEOPLE

Cheers

Bruce
It is almost certain that none of the people involved in these shootings were legally allowed to possess firearms or ammunition.

mealiejimmy

Try
99 percent black on black. That number is just citizens shooting citizens.
Well, like any group in society, if they didn't have guns they wouldn't be able to shot each other.
Some would find other ways to kill and injure people but guns appear to be the most efficient way to do that.
As much as I have argued about the number of guns in circulation being at the root of gun violence in the USA, I'm enough of a realist to recognise that nothing is going to change any time soon, and that the current "culture wars" in the USA will likely make the problem worse rather than better.
In its short history, the USA has brought a lot of good to many parts of the world (and some bad sh*t to others) and we in the UK have much to thank the USA for but, with all due respect, the vast majority of people here want nothing to do with your gun laws and the violence that ensues

Cheers

Bruce

A Guy Out West

Well, like any group in society, if they didn't have guns they wouldn't be able to shot each other.
Some would find other ways to kill and injure people but guns appear to be the most efficient way to do that.
As much as I have argued about the number of guns in circulation being at the root of gun violence in the USA, I'm enough of a realist to recognise that nothing is going to change any time soon, and that the current "culture wars" in the USA will likely make the problem worse rather than better.
In its short history, the USA has brought a lot of good to many parts of the world (and some bad sh*t to others) and we in the UK have much to thank the USA for but, with all due respect, the vast majority of people here want nothing to do with your gun laws and the violence that ensues

Cheers

Bruce
Nah, the reason is much simpler and very obvious to anyone who thinks the second amendment is daft
TOO MANY GUNS IN THE HANDS OF TOO MANY PEOPLE

Cheers

Bruce
The gun laws of the state of Illinois, make it completely illegal for the shooters of last weekends shootings to have possessed firearms or ammunition.

srvet

Have you ever watched the documentaries about people buying weapons on the back of the latest "scare". The people who are buying them (who made the cut into the film) were mainly a danger to themselves

As to the other points rather than honking on about the causes, spend some time with Google and review the statistics in depth.
Yes I have seen the panic buying, however I seriously doubt that those firearms bought by the citizens who were panic buying have been responsible for these deaths over the weekend.
I’m equally not sure that I’ m “honking on” , merely passing comment on reasons other than “there are just too many guns, the solution to the problem is less guns” which is just a massive oversimplification of a complex issue. If you really believe that is the case, you had better all hand in your sporting firearms to save someone in the UK, as surely the same argument holds out everywhere!! Did banning handguns in the UK following Dunblane prevent handguns being used in crime over here? Or did it prevent mass Shooting’s and acts of mass murder…. Nope!
I would totally accept the argument that “the wrong people have guns” but no one has so far made that point, unless I have missed something.
Thanks to @A Guy Out West for the stats. Interesting if slightly depressing reading. Perhaps @ChanonryMac you could comment on the increased proportions of black people being involved without considering the socioeconomic reasons why this is happening.

Apthorpe

Cheers

Bruce

The violence doesn't ensue from American laws, the same groups of people kill each other with just as high frequency, if not higher, in other countries. The intentional homicide rate in the US is really quite low. The facts are that people across the Americas murder each other with far greater frequency than anywhere else. Of the 20 countries with the top rates of intentional homicide, 18 are in the Americas. The US ranks only 93. It wouldn't even be the top European country. The problem is not guns, it's that it is a collection of narco-states underlying a modern country, and that the "liberal" administrations of the worst of these areas are doing an extremely poor job of even realising what the problem is.

Sinistral

Without having read anything about it, I'd lay money on the majority being black-on-black shootings by criminal gangs. Judge me all you like . . . . .
Inclined to agree with this assumption 'W', no judgement from me !
No pattern to last weekend's events has emerged yet . . . some of it seems totally random.
The facts don't fit your narrative, but that's no surprise when you don't bother to check anything. This is more than a little stupid. That's my judgment.;)

Of the 771 actual homicides from the second link, 107 were Hispanic (14%), 623 Black (81%), 29 White (4%), 12 Unknown/Other/Asian (1.5%).

As for the demographics, Chicago is 29% Hispanic - 33% Black - 5.5% Asian - only 31.7% White (Non-Hispanic).

A Guy Out West

In that case, perhaps even odder than at first sight to start a thread on the subject.
Perhaps it could be retitled 'Unremarkable weekend in Chicago'?
We are mostly numb to the weekly shootings in Chicago. I was actually shocked when I saw the number 65. Upon a little further digging, I saw the recent number of 104. It really made me wonder what kind of place I live in. Granted, I’m about 1800 miles from the free fire zone, but it is an American city and there are innocents being killed. It’s just really sickening and embarrassing that this goes on week after week in Chicago, the city of my birth.

Our passion is your passion... stalk with us!