Busy weekend in Chicago, 65 shot, 10 killed.

A Guy Out West

I’m not sure but this might be a new record. In about 54 hours, the Windy City had 65 shot. That is a pretty serious number. I wonder who they will try to blame it on? Trump is long gone, Glock, Smith & Wesson, etc.? Silly me, the police have not yet been defunded enough. That must be it.

I’m not sure but this might be a new record. In about 54 hours, the Windy City had 65 shot. That is a pretty serious number. I wonder who they will try to blame it on? Trump is long gone, Glock, Smith & Wesson, etc.? Silly me, the police have not yet been defunded enough. That must be it.
Any particular demographic to these shootings by any circumstance ? ie - black, white, Hispanic, gang/drug related, age related ? Does this include police shootings ? Just curious.

Nah, the reason is much simpler and very obvious to anyone who thinks the second amendment is daft
TOO MANY GUNS IN THE HANDS OF TOO MANY PEOPLE

Cheers

Bruce

That theory falls flat when the guns are likely illegal, smuggled up from Mexico. Sold to gang members to shoot up the streets. But it sounds good.

Chicago’s gun control laws are all ready fairly rigid, zero effect on firearms crime.

Reactions: TH4
Nah, the reason is much simpler and very obvious to anyone who thinks the second amendment is daft
TOO MANY GUNS IN THE HANDS OF TOO MANY PEOPLE

Cheers

Bruce
I’m not sure this is the case due to the strict firearms laws in Chicago. I suspect the real answer lies largely in socioeconomic factors, a gang culture and lots of illegal firearms being readily and cheaply available.

Whether the guns are legally held or illegally held, my statement is still true
If there are TOO MANY GUNS IN THE HANDS OF TOO MANY PEOPLE then more people will be shot and killed or injured.
However, I accept the fact that, when it comes to the number of guns in circulation that the "genie is out of the bottle" and it's not going back into the bottle any time soon.

Cheers

Bruce

Whether the guns are legally held or illegally held, my statement is still true
If there are TOO MANY GUNS IN THE HANDS OF TOO MANY PEOPLE then more people will be shot and killed or injured.
However, I accept the fact that, when it comes to the number of guns in circulation that the "genie is out of the bottle" and it's not going back into the bottle any time soon.

Cheers

Bruce
Playing devil’s advocate…you could always consider the counter argument that it is insufficient guns that could be the problem. Perhaps if everyone had them, the perceived Increased risk of aggravating someone would create a more polite society? It would be interesting to know how many of the shootings were gang and/or drug related. If you just take away the gun, then another weapon will take its place be that fists, knives, chains, coshes, vehicles or bottles. Surely the only solution is to address the socioeconomic /drug underlying problems?

The counter argument fails completely.
In other countries where there are far fewer guns in circulation, there are far, far fewer deaths and injuries from guns.
More guns will lead to more deaths
Nor should people who do not like guns or want to own a gun be forced to do so for the the entirely spurious reason that it may result in a more polite society.
When someone points a gun at you, they are NOT being polite!

Cheers

Bruce

In other countries where there are far fewer guns in circulation, there are far, far fewer deaths and injuries from guns.
Nor should people who do not like guns or want to own a gun be forced to do so for the the entirely spurious reason that it may result in a more polite society.

Cheers

Bruce
Again, only playing Devils Advocate.
Switzerland is the exception: "There is no official count of guns in Switzerland. But according to the Geneva-based Small Arms Survey, Switzerland has more guns circulating per capita than any country besides the US and Yemen." Whilst I agree that in general more guns (especially in the hands of criminals and idiots) will lead to more deaths, I've always found it interesting that you never hear of mass shootings in Switzerland. Maybe they just don't have idiots in that country.

Cheers

Bruce
I suspect that if you consider the US as an entity and look at it on a per state basis, the number of homicides by gun (suicides should be excluded) those states with more permissive firearms legislature may well have lower firearm related deaths.
I agree with you that pointing a firearm is a bit rude, but possessing a firearm is not at all rude. The same concept of mutual assured destruction from east and west nuclear armaments have kept us safe since WWII

I don't think you can equate mutually assured destruction with nuclear weapons with gun ownership - MAD prevented a nuclear holocaust between 2 states, giving two individual adversaries a gun each usually means one or both is going to end up dead or wounded - it's simply not a sufficient deterrent

Cheers

Bruce

The US populations apparent drug acceptance and abuse of = dealer turf wars making up a lot of this carnage.
The genie left the gun crime bottle generations ago. Social inequity, racial anger both ways, you name it & you can claim its the problem.
Prohibition of guns or ammo will just make a new business model for the druggies.
Brazil is awful ref gun deaths also but it seldom gets reported on.

Cheers

Bruce
You might consider reviewing the statistics for Canada, Scandinavia in general and of course Switzerland. Strikingly high gun ownership, vastly different outcomes with respect to murder. It's a much more fundamental flaw, respect for others (in the afore mentioned countries) and a striking lack of impulse control in the US along with rampant narcissism, leads to outrageous behaviour.

I think it's got something to do with too many of the locals being willing to murder other people. Put me on the PC naughty step, but I can't help noticing socio-economic factors have very little to do with it. These groups may be poorer in Chicago (possibly related to spending their time doing gang-related sh1t, taking drugs and not getting a proper job and working) but the same "groups" are still behaving the same way when they are the privileged socio-economic groups elsewhere.

Back