Butchering gloves

kieran222

I haven't used any safety gloves in the past while butchering but think I might invest in a pair before it is too late. The price range is fairly significant for the gloves advertised on the net. Does anybody have any that they use that they would recommend?

Alantoo

They seem to have radically dropped in price since I acquired some...£70 down to just over £10-£15 on eBay/Amazon.

There are some which have stainless threads woven through a cloth glove...the simple chainmail type which can go straight in the dishwasher are what I ended up with.

I was advised by bigscott270 on here to wear the mesh glove under a nitrile glove which keeps any clag out of the mesh. The nitrile glove has the added advantage of keeping the chain mail glove tight to the fingers so they don't end up hobbling you so to speak. The mail gloves have a tendency to slide down otherwise...there are rubber spider devices to hold them on but I found the nitrile glove does it fine.

Alan

Last edited:

philip

I purchased a left handed one few years ago ( i’m right handed) in stainless steel to wear under long cuff nitrile gloves and it’s still as good as new, gets to go in the dishwasher, it has 2 small claws which tighten the wrist, providing you get the right finger length you won’t know your wearing it. - a real asset to gralloch / butchering

Alantoo

Beware the cut-resistant Kevlar gloves, they may give you a false sense of security...

My tale of woe from an earlier thread about chainmail gloves...

Chain mail gloves .... recommendations advice please - Page 3

Their resistance is useless...to (miss) quote Douglas Adams...A friend demonstrated his wonderful new cut resistant kevlar gloves with a serrated bread knife...there was a lot of mess and cursing. If you are going to test the effectiveness of Kevlar and Stainless chainmail gloves...do it without your hand inside.

I suggest you do an experiment or two trying to cut through both on a cutting board...and then use the stainless glove for both gralloching and larder work...not least because the Kevlar one will have a slash through it.

Alan