Buying extra barrel on switch barrel rifles advice

Markfox

I've got a mauser M03 already

if I want to buy extra barrels in different calibres to use on the M03 what does my licence need to say ?

The calibres I want i already have empty slots on my FAC for but it says rifles rather than barrels or doesn't it matter as M03 barrels are serial numbered rather than the action which have no numbers

Barrels / rifles all the same - if you have the calibre slot on the FAC you can fill it with a barrel only, I've got 3 barrels to one stock for my Blaser.

i can give you the definitive answer on this one because i had some hassle about it.

your ticket has to say barrel not rifle.

i acquired a 308 barrel for my r8 with a rifle slot and had to get it amended.

I have 5 barrels for the same action

four are listed as barrels
one is listed next to and in conjunction with the action as a rifle.

now a point of discussion is if you want to sell the rifle as an entire rifle with a spare barrel as that calibre rather than the one listed and linked with it,
feo's nightmare!

Hmm! now that is something I hadn't thought about.
I have the original entry as a Blaser 30-06 rifle but have since added barrels in .243 and .308.
So if I wanted to dispose of the 30-06 barrel on it's own, that could cause a bit of a dilema, not insurmountable but not straight forward either.
Then again, as these modular rifles are becoming more popular the local Firearms departments must be coming across it more often.

Hmm! now that is something I hadn't thought about.
I have the original entry as a Blaser 30-06 rifle but have since added barrels in .243 and .308.
So if I wanted to dispose of the 30-06 barrel on it's own, that could cause a bit of a dilema, not insurmountable but not straight forward either.
Then again, as these modular rifles are becoming more popular the local Firearms departments must be coming across it more often.

Eddie
My Blaser stock has its own number as have all the barrels listed on my FAC so I can sell a complete rifle without a problem as long as the numbers match, this was not the case originally as the FEO had ommited the original barrel number and I went to Croatia and back on the stock number, got the barrel number added as soon as I got back, its easy to ask them to add the stock number next time you submit for a renewal or variation (dont forget to get the European pass ammended as well - thats if you remember to take it !!!!!

Tony

Hmm !,
I've had my Blaser a while now and so far haven't managed to find any serial numbers on the stock.
In fact because of the lack of any numbers on the stock, I looked into buying another with the 'extra bits' so that, if required, I could make two rifles.
That idea went out of the window when I found the prices of the extra bits required :(

PS.
Hi Tony, to save any further embarrassment I have considered stapling my EFP to the rifle stock in future:doh:

Last edited:
Eddie
My Blaser stock has its own number as have all the barrels listed on my FAC so I can sell a complete rifle without a problem as long as the numbers match, this was not the case originally as the FEO had ommited the original barrel number and I went to Croatia and back on the stock number, got the barrel number added as soon as I got back, its easy to ask them to add the stock number next time you submit for a renewal or variation (dont forget to get the European pass ammended as well - thats if you remember to take it !!!!!

Tony

Tony,

I looked high and low when i was travelling overseas for my stock serial number.

i would really appreciate a heads up on its location!

Tony,

I looked high and low when i was travelling overseas for my stock serial number.

i would really appreciate a heads up on its location!

Hi

On my right hand R93 professional stock the number is on the top edge of the stock next to the bolt / barrel interface where it says " Blaser J#####"

Regards

Ahh, this brings back memories!
I have a Mauser M03 in 6.5 x 55 and a CZ455 in 17HMR.
I had two spaces on my ticket, 22.250 and 22lr.
I went out and bought the barrel for the CZ late last year. I got called from Herts Licensing saying my barrel purchase was not allowed as my ticket did not say "22lr barrel". I replied that when I have that barrel on the CZ I would then have a 17HMR barrel but the ticket would say 17hmr rifle!!! I asked if I should have all my rifles and barrels listed twice....they were not amused!
I spoke to BASC legal and told that they get calls about this all the time, so no joy there.
I spoke at length to my local FLO. He was equally bemused. This went back and forth for a few weeks until my revised ticket said "22lr barrel".
Funnily enough when I bought my 22.250 barrel for my M03, I didn't get any calls whatsoever...........

I have a .308 r8 and a slot for 300WM.. My ticket says 300WM barrel and bolt head

Just to add another level of complexity to this debate. I have a 7x65r / 16 bore combination gun. I am toying with the idea of a .222 liner barrel (Einstecklauf) to go down the 16 bore - clearly a variation required. But I can also get a 7x65r barrel and turn it into a double - I can see some head scratching here!!

Just to add another level of complexity to this debate. I have a 7x65r / 16 bore combination gun. I am toying with the idea of a .222 liner barrel (Einstecklauf) to go down the 16 bore - clearly a variation required. But I can also get a 7x65r barrel and turn it into a double - I can see some head scratching here!!

I bought a .22lr einstecklauf last year for my drilling and just asked for a spare .22lr barrel for my drilling. Got it, bought it, notified, job done!

I have found that if you get a slot for a rifle and then choose to go the barrel route then no problem. They will enter on your FAC as barrel. Where you have problems is if you only get a slot for a barrel and then a really "must have" rifle attracts your eye and you then need a variation.

Stan

Quick update guys it's took a little longer than I thaught with this but

west mids / Stafford have said that the licence must say barrel they won't except buying a barrel with a free rifle slot even if the same caliber so there you go total madness and the mind boggles

It really is very simple.
The rifle is listed as the caliber then rifle and any spare barrels are listed as caliber and barrel or spare barrel.
My FAC is listed with 5 "Spare BARRELS"
Not sure why the capitals.

Back