Buying scopes in America

Blackdog

Hi everyone, My wife is going to New York next month on business and I happened to stumble across a gun store online which is just down the road from where she is staying. Does anyone know if she can buy a scope for me and bring it home in her suitcase? I am not after any illuminated reticle or other fancy stuff, just a Nikon Monarch X.
Many thanks
Steve

Taff

Buy what you like as long as it does not have to go on your ticket, I usually buy scopes, knives and hunting clothes.

centralbeltstalker

i am not sure but i think this is not quite true, you can only buy a certain value before having to declare it.. not sure of the $ value but make sure you check

richard griffith

scopes from america

Yes she can but most items over a certain value attract duty-you may get away without declaring it-check customs site on the internet.additionally the yanks also prohibit the exportation of certain items like scopes particularly if they have a mil dot reticule.good luck.richard.

Taff

In 12 yrs of shopping in the states I have never declared it on the way back in to Britain yes bin the packaging on some items

Blackdog

I did bring some stuff back years ago when I was in the Army but never scopes and all prior to 9/11. I did hear something about Mil-Dot reticules being restricted? seems mad when a Buck or Gerber knife doesnt attract attention (in Hold luggage)

baguio

Carry the items as luggage and post any boxes or packaging and receipts that you want to keep back to your home address. Don't just bin them as they may be needed in the future! Maybe even send good strong packaging out to ensure the safe carriage home.

baguio

why is that?
Because then Customs can't prove that you didn't buy the scope in the UK initially and therefore have already paid the VAT. Be prepared as a boy scout would say and stick to your story. After all, didn't the friend you were visiting in the US want to look at the scope that you used for stalking in England?

Last edited: