Buying Scopes in New york - and getting back to UK

ChrisWill184

Hi all

I am luck enough to be going to New York soon and was wondering what the hoops were to jump through to bring a riflescope or 2 back? Been looking at Vortex Diamondback scopes and availability (and price) is certainly better out there than in the UK.

Can I just throw them in my bag or should I be paying an export fee on top? Will have a proper google hunt later for info but was wondering if anyone had any first hand experience of this?

Regards

Chris

Rasputin

Hi all

I am luck enough to be going to New York soon and was wondering what the hoops were to jump through to bring a riflescope or 2 back? Been looking at Vortex Diamondback scopes and availability (and price) is certainly better out there than in the UK.

Can I just throw them in my bag or should I be paying an export fee on top? Will have a proper google hunt later for info but was wondering if anyone had any first hand experience of this?

Regards

Chris

I don't find NYC particularly cheap for anything to be honest especially in store. By the time you add on all the sales taxes unless you catch it in a sale its normally bloody expensive because of the location. You may find a retailer who will know the tax off as an overseas customer but unlikely. Are you planning on buying in store of shipping from out of state to a residence?

Anyway if you do buy or find a bargain. My advice would be to pack it loose in hand luggage a far as I know you have £390 allowance bringing stuff in so that scope would cause an issue and you have piece of mind some oik hasn't thrown it around. If you do end up buying 2/3 just wing it and see if customs notice/care which they probably won't to be honest.

On a side not I would visit the beretta store they are great in there and always happy to chat to Brits and have some wicked double rifles and shotguns to look at. :)

Oh6

I think that there are some export restrictions in relation to scopes, so for example I think that you would be in hot water if you tried to bring a mildot scope back with you. Hopefully someone can point you in the direction of the specifics.

Last edited:
While I was in new York just be for Xmas last year. They wouldn't sell me any glass or night vision as I'm not from the states they were very polite and helpful but the answer was no. Sporting scope or otherwise. Hope this helps

marrajack

BH photo in New York - great selection and very knowledgeable staff think it's 9th - 42nd walkable from Times Square but the have a web site and app

Taff

Never bought in New York, but purchased numerous scopes, knives, bows, red dots , holographic scopes over the years, put them in your suitcase and have a nice holiday, never had a problem , had my bags checked, little red notice informing me and thanking me for my co operation.

Erik Hamburger

I would avoid potential issues at Customs and in particular avoid getting into a scrap with USA officials by buying online and have them shipped to you. I used Scopes4You, it looks as if they are now called http://www.opticsforyou.com/ , they offer a fast and painless service , so you are likely to get your scope for some 20% less than the UK retail price, even after taking Shipping and Duty into consideration.

However for EU manufactered scopes you may be better off buying online in the Eurozone.

Either way, you will be better off than buying at 'rip off Britain' prices.

Muir

While I was in new York just be for Xmas last year. They wouldn't sell me any glass or night vision as I'm not from the states they were very polite and helpful but the answer was no. Sporting scope or otherwise. Hope this helps
What??Scopes are not covered by any Federal laws with regard to purchase. I don't know about State ordinances but from a Federal standpoint, they had no right to refuse to sell you a scope based on your citizenship. It would never happen in Montana, I know that much. Walk up to the register, pay, and walk out.

As to the original post. See if you can conive a shipment to where you are going to be. ~Muir
http://www.cabelas.com/product/barg...red-dot/_/N-1102696/Ns-CATEGORY_SEQ_105678180

MTLEADFARMER

Some scopes are federally regulated under ITAR. The following copied from Swfa.com If the scope is built to military specification for use by the military it is governed by the U.S. State Department. The actual restrictions are spelled out in detail under the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR), more specifically under The United States Munitions List Part 121.1, 22 CFR Ch. 1, f. Riflescopes and sighting devices that are not manufactured to military specifications qualify as "commercial items and are governed by the U.S. Department of Commerce under the Export Administration Regulations (EAR). ITAR covers any optic that is built to military specifications. There is no general mil-dot reticle restriction on exporting or importing. However a mil dot reticle is a common feature on most military issued scopes and this is where the misinformation stems from. The penalties are severe enough that most companies have applied a broad restriction on exporting them selves. For instance, if they are not sure what can and can't be exported it is easier to just not export any optics. The manufacturers notify us when their products get issued a NSN number with a letter stating that the product is now officially bought by the U.S. military under contract and can not be exported without the proper license.

Geordiehillbilly

Done it a few times and put them in my checked-in bags along with bullets, all manner of reloading equipment and knives. I was lucky as I checked my baggage through to my final destination so I came off the plane to collect bags as a domestic so did not have to go through customs. On getting home the TSA had opened and inspected my bag and left a note advising me they had checked (presumably due to the things they will have seen on the x-ray machine? All in all, no issues.

big ears

You are allowed to bring items up to the value of £360 into this country if they are gifts or personal use without paying duty. So you could get at least one scope in may be two. Once you go over this you will be charged for the whole lot. Found this out as I've just brought some bullets back in. In the case no issues. Good luck

MTLEADFARMER

Basically if our military uses it you can't export it. Some stores just don't want to go through the hassle and won't sell to foreigners. My friend owns a store in New York, with a website and he has many items marked ITAR can't ship outside U.S. He checks your ID in store and online before the sale of ITAR regulated items. If it's not on the list he will sell you anything.

bewsher500

Boomerang

Hi all

Regards

Chris
Walk-in off the street and pay at the counter:

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/browse/Riflescopes/ci/13522/N/4100994458

Or order with delivery to a hotel or friends address:

http://www.eurooptic.com

Hope this helps....