Caliber for shooting in France

French David

Some of you did asked me about the new law in France, about some military caliber who are now allowed.

So from saturday (7th September 2013) the caliber than you can not use are : 50bmg, 14.5x114, 223, 7.62x39, 5.45x39 and some caliber under autorisation as: 45acp and 9mm para.

All the other one are allowed.

So the 308, 30.06, 303 etc, you can use them for stalking and driven boar in France.

The smallest caliber allowed for the hunt is still the 222. For the semi automatic rifle it's still the same: maximum 3 shot (2 in mag and 1 in chamber). and still no moderator on any rifle.

Hop that will help some of you.

Regards

rick6point5

Result then, have 6.5 can travel... where can i see this in black & white?

​cheers for update

Last edited:

2130martin

Thanks Martin, Did you by your new rifles for boar ?

No,I am a Cornishman,I was saving my money to see how you got on with your "Afternoon Tea" with the French Prime Minister,I am impressed!!!!..........I will be taking my .308,or can I take my .223??

Last edited:

French David

Afternoon tea ???? French Prime Minister ???? Certainly not that one !:doh:

Your 308 yes, not your 223.
Anyway if you remember at Montmorency they don't accept any rifle less than 7 millimeter.

jthyttin

For the semi automatic rifle it's still the same: maximum 3 shot (2 in mag and 1 in chamber). and still no moderator on any rifle.

I seem to remember that the magazine should be fixed, not removable? In the link you provided there was also some restrictions on total length and barrel length? And even bolt action would be in different category depending on magazine capacity?

I don't speak French, but it also seemed that only Category B firearms would be subject to the military caliber restriction? So a Category C bolt action with 10 shot magazine could be chambered in, say, 223?

French David

I seem to remember that the magazine should be fixed, not removable? In the link you provided there was also some restrictions on total length and barrel length? And even bolt action would be in different category depending on magazine capacity?

I don't speak French, but it also seemed that only Category B firearms would be subject to the military caliber restriction? So a Category C bolt action with 10 shot magazine could be chambered in, say, 223?

Yes you're right the magazine must be fixed (2 bullet maximum). But that doesn't really concern the hunter who come with us (Boar shooting), because you can't have semi automatic rifle here in the UK.
Sorry jthyttin but i didn't read all the text. I was more interested in knowing which caliber you can't use.
The 223 what ever action or magazine is military and not accepted for hunting in France.
I've put that thread, because some people who came or will come with us shooting boar in France, wanted to know about caliber. But I will not advised to use a 223 to shoot boar !!!!! The shoot we go in the National Forest ask that we have a 7mm bullet minimum to shoot with them.
So I'm sorry to tell you that but 223 is not the thing.
I'll read the rest and let you know about magazine capacity and barrel length.

Charlie b

I am about to apply for my FAC and was looking a calibers I have friends in France who have land and they asked me if I wanted to join the local shoot. So I was thinking if caliber choise and thought I was limited to non military calibers. But after reading this does it mean I could take a 30-06 with me to shoot deer and boar thanks.

Pine Marten

I am about to apply for my FAC and was looking a calibers I have friends in France who have land and they asked me if I wanted to join the local shoot. So I was thinking if caliber choise and thought I was limited to non military calibers. But after reading this does it mean I could take a 30-06 with me to shoot deer and boar thanks.

.30-06, .308WIN, 8x57IS and .303 British are all fine now. However for reasons the presumably make sense to someone, 6.5x55 Swedish, 6.5x64MS and 7x57 are still all classed as "armes de guerre". But yes, you're fine with your .30-06.