calibre for African DG

artschool

i am thinking of applying for a dangerous game calibre on my FAC.

have an r8 professional and was thinking of buying a new barrel in either .375 or .416.

has anyone else done this or is it easier to buy a new rifle?

PeteL

The minimum calibre in most of Africa for DG is the good ol' 375 H&H. Having said that, I wouldn't want to be facing summat big and potentially nasty with a minimal calibre, but you may well be made of much stronger stuff.
My advice would be to get the largest calibre you can handle. DG do not forgive.
It's a jolly good idea to use the R8, you'll have a rifle which you know well and can shoot accurately, so if the manure hits the rotating parts ................
As for the choice between 375 or 416, I'd go for 416 Rigby and load it with 380 gr GS Custom FN bullets. They are categorised as non-expanding so you'll be able to buy them without problem. Not cheap, though. Take a look at the GSCustom website.
For practice, I use 400 gn Hornady solids. Of course, you'll have to zero with the GS bullets prior to your safari.
(Because my Constabulary will not allow the purchase of expanding ammo for this calibre, I have to use the GS Custom or other non expanding bullets or arrange for a supply of ammo in Africa - fat chance of that!).
I expect our friend Jabali Hunter will be along to deliver his pearls of wisdom in the fullness of time, listen to him, he knows his o'nions.
If you want more info go to: shakariconnection.com - there's enough there to keep you going for weeks.
Good Luck and keep us up to date on your progress.
Safari njema, bwana
Peter

sean

Having shot both calibres in a Blaser off road, i would personally buy a some what heavier rifle. To say they bump a little is an understatement. As said i would opt for the larger caliber .416/.458. if you can shoot one well enough with out flinching.I am sure a well placed .375 bullet will and has killed all the big game available in Africa. But in some cases bigger is better.
Regards Sean

Patrick A

I have hunted with .375 H&H and was very happy with it. If you go bigger to a 416 make sure you get the Rigby that hot American calibres are horrible to shoot. There are plenty of articles arguing that a 416 Rigby is better than a 458 Lott but it all depends on whether you want a bruised shoulder to go with your trophy!!

i do also have a 416 so my next Buff will be with that.....

Go for the 416 or even 458 win mag. Both I and my ex wife found the 458 easy enough to shoot and she could consistently hit clay sized targets in a fixed holder offhand at 40 yds. She was 5'2" and weighed 7.5 stone and used the iron sights. It is a real stopper on anything dangerous however many legs it has. The 416 Rigby is also a very sharp tool for DG.

moose

Blaser only do .416 Rem, not .416 Rigby and the .416 rem barrel profile will be too big for your stock, it's only available in the African models.
You either get the .375 H&H which will fit, or if you want .416 then it's a new rifle.

Moose

artschool

Blaser only do .416 Rem, not .416 Rigby and the .416 rem barrel profile will be too big for your stock, it's only available in the African models.
You either get the .375 H&H which will fit, or if you want .416 then it's a new rifle.

Moose
the answer I was looking for! Out of interest if I was to buy an blaser African model would my 308 barrel fit on that?

moose

Not really sure, the action may be bigger in the African/Safari models, need to ask Blaser dealer or somebody on here who has one.
I was in a similar position, wanted .416 Rigby , but ended up getting a .375 barrel for my R93, havnt shot DG yet but did shot kudu, zebra and Gemsbok with it, great calibre to shoot.

Moose

stecad

I have a Sako in 375HH and it has served me well. Just returned from Norway on moose and ended up shooting a Blaser in 9.3x62. Absolute dream to shoot and actually had me thinking of swapping to this European calibre and even to a Blaser. The rifle handled like a dream and was nice and light to carry around. Definitely worth a look if you fancy staying with the Blaser platform.

artschool

Not really sure, the action may be bigger in the African/Safari models, need to ask Blaser dealer or somebody on here who has one.
I was in a similar position, wanted .416 Rigby , but ended up getting a .375 barrel for my R93, havnt shot DG yet but did shot kudu, zebra and Gemsbok with it, great calibre to shoot.

Moose
just reading this thread

Is the .375 HH strong enough | AfricaHunting.com

i think i might get a 375 as well.

scrumbag

Don't get a toy, get a rifle. Go and talk to those nice folks in London (aka RIGBY) and buy one of their nice 416s... It will fit you beautifully

Or go factory and get a CZ550 or Winchester Model 70...

Oh I need a lie down...

Heym SR20

Whilst their is endless debate over whether you should go for 416 Rigby, Remington or 458 Winchester, Chapstick etc etc, I think for us UK based shooters the choice should be 375 H&h for the very simple reason that the home office guidelines say it is suitable for use on deer in the UK. Thus you can use it and get ammo for it and become very used to it. If I ever get the opportunity again to go after something that would want to stomp or eat me, I would happily trade a few thou for a rifle that I knew and am thoroughly familiar with and am confident that I can shoot it accurately in the field. Shooting on live game is very different from shooting at paper!

artschool

Whilst their is endless debate over whether you should go for 416 Rigby, Remington or 458 Winchester, Chapstick etc etc, I think for us UK based shooters the choice should be 375 H&h for the very simple reason that the home office guidelines say it is suitable for use on deer in the UK. Thus you can use it and get ammo for it and become very used to it. If I ever get the opportunity again to go after something that would want to stomp or eat me, I would happily trade a few thou for a rifle that I knew and am thoroughly familiar with and am confident that I can shoot it accurately in the field. Shooting on live game is very different from shooting at paper!
that is a good point.

i was reading the thread i linked to and the consensus seems to be the same thing.

Heym SR20

that is a good point.

i was reading the thread i linked to and the consensus seems to be the same thing.
Get hold of a copy of Craig Boddington's Safari Rifles. Comments from most PH's regarding what they liked clients to bring was a 375 h&h as most people can shoot them much better than bigger calibres.

The other key point he makes is that any rifle must be shot enough to irons out any bugs, so that when the time comes it always goes bang. He also observes that if you don't want to / can't buy and shoot in an appropriate calibre of rifle and get thoroughly proficient, you are probably better borrowing a rifle from your PH - these may not be the prettiest but should be well used and reliable. Given the fun and games of first owning in the UK and then transporting rifles overseas, this may be a better option.