Can’t get a new unfired barrels clean.

R06.5

I recently purchased a brand new blaser 6.5 barrel and I can’t seem to get it clean! The barrel was and still is unfired from the factory.

It has now had 80+ patches down it with de-greaser/cleaner, patch-out and patch-out accelerator bore cleaner, 20+ strokes with a nylon brush, 40+ strokes with a bronze brush and patches are still dirty!

Has anyone any thoughts as to why a brand new unfired barrel should be this dirty and hard to clean. I understand that may be stored with a oil in to stop corrosion but it seems very very hard to remove.

The single patch is the last patch out after 80+!

Attachments

• 2C0AD4D2-67AD-46F9-A457-1458D23D14ED.jpeg
    2C0AD4D2-67AD-46F9-A457-1458D23D14ED.jpeg
    350.9 KB · Views: 85
  • CBBDDFEC-CD79-4AAA-9887-585D2E70C0EA.jpeg
    CBBDDFEC-CD79-4AAA-9887-585D2E70C0EA.jpeg
    182.4 KB · Views: 85
  • D0F34B6C-E203-4A11-8916-43F1B08E771A.jpeg
    D0F34B6C-E203-4A11-8916-43F1B08E771A.jpeg
    314 KB · Views: 85

caberslash

1. Stop using a 'spear tip' jag and get a 'Paker Hale' style one (see below), but don't buy one from Parker Hale! Much more surface area for the patch.

Get a Dewey one from Norman Clarke: Norman Clark Gunsmiths

2. Are you wiping down your cleaning rod after each pass?

Steff

They are using some sort of grease as a rust inhibitor which is applied after the proof shots. And that without any prior cleaning as it seems.
It looks as if you've already gotten rid of the copper smear. To get the last bit of grease out continue brushing with bronze brushes and lots of something like Ballistol. 40 strokes is nothing. Do another 100 with plenty of Ballistol. This should do the job.

Steff

Worth noting the blue colour could be from the jag if you are using a bronze jag as bronze is copper with tin.
Discoloration of the patches from brass jags is much over-rated. The blue on the patches in the photo actually comes from the barrel as a result of the proof shots.

gixer1

Discoloration of the patches from brass jags is much over-rated. The blue on the patches in the photo actually comes from the barrel as a result of the proof shots.
Possibly but if it’s been rocked through the barrel 80+ times it could be either - I’d say shoot it and see how it shoots!

Steff

Either way I’d suggest you cease cleaning and just shoot it
Shooting over grease or oil will inevitably aid the forming of glass hard carbon deposits in the grooves. Thus get your new barrel spotless before you shoot it.

ejg

There might be a reason why the bore is prepared in a certain way by blaser. Maybe a good idea to not grind away the surface? Just get the rough stuff out and shoot.. That should be done with a few patches.
edi

ShooterB

Patches can be a poor indicator of what's going on in the bore. If you really want to go down the rabbit hole then get yourself a borescope, but beware that it is a deep rabbit hole indeed!

Ronin

Distinguished Member
Shooting over grease or oil will inevitably aid the forming of glass hard carbon deposits in the grooves. Thus get your new barrel spotless before you shoot it.

It’s highly unlikely after 80 patches there will be any grease or oil in this barrel especially if solvents have been used to clean it

What the op is getting from the patches is either a trabsfer from a brass jag or deposit from the barrel coating that blaser uses (the dark grey)

Ronin

Distinguished Member
Most barrels I’ve had come back from proof usually come clean in less than 15 /20 patches

Using appropriate cleaning solvents

Two proof shots do not produce 80 patches of copper (not with decent barrels anyway)

JohnSmith

I wouldn’t stress, just go shoot it.

I passed maybe four patches through my new 308 R8 barrel before shooting it for the first time today. Didn’t bother with break in either. Sighted it in at 100 then a friend and I were hitting steel at 330 m no problem. I cleaned the barrel when I got home (maybe 10 patches) and called it good enough.

672DB917-7E8D-4D75-BC5E-2BA1C2228283.jpeg

Ronin

Distinguished Member
To illustrate my point in an earlier reply In this thread, I went out with a brand new and fresh back from proof rifle this morning to zero and do some load development

Fired a total of 30 rounds in an XC - Sassen cut rifled barrel

Velocity up there in the accuracy node 3000 fps plus and no sign of excess pressure whatsoever

Once home the barrel cleaned out using 5 patches of carbon cleaner (Boretech) and 4 patches of Cu cleaner (Boretech)