Can’t get a new unfired barrels clean.

Steff

To illustrate my point in an earlier reply In this thread, I went out with a brand new and fresh back from proof rifle this morning to zero and do some load development

Fired a total of 30 rounds in an XC - Sassen cut rifled barrel

Velocity up there in the accuracy node 3000 fps plus and no sign of excess pressure whatsoever

Once home the barrel cleaned out using 5 patches of carbon cleaner (Boretech) and 4 patches of Cu cleaner (Boretech)
I have no experience with Sassen barrels and the likes, only factory hammer forged barrels.

Regardless of the state of these barrels, patches only will only clean out superficial crud. I am not a supporter of cleaning down to bare steel on a regular cleaning but using a bronze brush is a must in my experience. Anything else is just eyewash.

Tom_Ov

For what it's worth, I purchased a new 6.5x55 barrel for my R8 a couple of years ago. I didn't clean it at all before first firing. Used 10 PPU rounds to get it zeroed, then it put 5 RWS 140 grain 'doppelkern' into a less than half inch group at 100 metres.

I hope this doesn't come across as me being smug or boasting about my shooting ability (which is average at best) but it may be that cleaning a new barrel to the point of completely clean patches isn't necessary.

308tikka

Proof rounds.... possibly a less than polished bore....

The way it will get smoother is to shoot it. ie break it in.

I wouldnt be too concerned at this stage. If you need a little help beyond solvents, then iosso paste or autosol in TINY quantities will lift the gunk.

Most barrels need a fair few rounds to settle down and become easy to clean.

Triggermortis

I picked up an unfired R93 in .222 from LolerUK today, He bore sighted it, then we checked it using PPU’s, zeroed it with Sako gameheads and I’m gonna go use it ,it’s shooting very nice groups so I’ll use factory till I’ve worked up homeloads and then use those.
BIG thankyou to Loler, true gent 😜

R06.5

Thanks for the reply’s. I’m going to give it another good clean with a alloy jag and nylon brush, then probably get on and shoot it.

I m just a little concerned that if I don’t have it clean to my usual standard what irreparable damage I would do to the bore. Everyone has different standards and benchmarks and I possibly could be over cautious but I’d rather be safe than sorry and get the best possible accuracy out of the barrel.

R06.5

Patches can be a poor indicator of what's going on in the bore. If you really want to go down the rabbit hole then get yourself a borescope, but beware that it is a deep rabbit hole indeed!
I did go down the rabbit hole prior to cleaning, it was deep and not pretty!!!

Attachments

• D3945B85-D334-41BB-9E85-78452A372D53.jpeg
    D3945B85-D334-41BB-9E85-78452A372D53.jpeg
    81.7 KB · Views: 76
  • 5EA30959-E030-498D-B6A7-3243D52B9676.jpeg
    5EA30959-E030-498D-B6A7-3243D52B9676.jpeg
    30.2 KB · Views: 75
  • 72250011-CE61-4C5E-9159-C720C3113087.jpeg
    72250011-CE61-4C5E-9159-C720C3113087.jpeg
    50 KB · Views: 74
  • DC64F97E-9F7D-4846-98C4-7A507D4CA670.jpeg
    DC64F97E-9F7D-4846-98C4-7A507D4CA670.jpeg
    39.2 KB · Views: 77

Heym SR20

Are you sure its a new barrel that has only been fired at the proof house, or is it a barrel that has had many round through and is now being sold as new.

Military rifles used to be covered inside and out in a thick waxy grease- cosmoline and petrol I believe was the best way of getting this stuff off. Lighter fluid is basically a very clean petrol and superb at removing wax / grease and gummed oil.

gixer1

I did go down the rabbit hole prior to cleaning, it was deep and not pretty!!!
Any borescope usually shows horrific looking detail - in reality it will probably shoot perfectly accurately….don’t worry about it too much. If you put most metallic objects that are not polished under a magnified view you will see surface scratches and imperfections.

Regards,
Gixer

Klenchblaize

The problem for the Op having succumbed to temptation and ‘inspected’ his bore under a microscope is that whenever he’s about to take a shot the image of some fissured & cratered landscape will loom large in the scope rather than the target species. In short, confidence in the fowling piece is shot and never to return.

K

JohnSmith

The problem for the Op having succumbed to temptation and ‘inspected’ his bore under a microscope is that whenever he’s about to take a shot the image of some fissured & cratered landscape will loom large in the scope rather than the target species. In short, confidence in the fowling piece is shot and never to return.

K

Yep. @R06.5 , I’ll take one for the team and relieve you of that disfigured barrel. 200 £. 😏

308tikka

Any borescope usually shows horrific looking detail - in reality it will probably shoot perfectly accurately….don’t worry about it too much. If you put most metallic objects that are not polished under a magnified view you will see surface scratches and imperfections.

Regards,
Gixer
This is good advice. Bore scopes are used to see machine tool marks which shouldnt be there, for uneven wear and the extent of firecracking.

Have you shot any groups with barrel yet? Post them up.

bluesako

Thanks for the reply’s. I’m going to give it another good clean with a alloy jag and nylon brush, then probably get on and shoot it.

I m just a little concerned that if I don’t have it clean to my usual standard what irreparable damage I would do to the bore. Everyone has different standards and benchmarks and I possibly could be over cautious but I’d rather be safe than sorry and get the best possible accuracy out of the barrel.
imho i think your worrying to much, id go out and shoot it and enjoy, as for irreparable damage, every time you pull the trigger your damaging the barrell to a certain extent, sometimes that little maggot wakes up and takes a walk round your brain, i bet when you shoot it you will forget about the barrell atb bs,

Reactions: VSS