Canal Boating

Morkai

On the canal for a week, borrowing the boat for a week off a friend.

Open towpath overlooking a field for our dinner scenery this evening.

We get yo use this boat about 5 or 6 times a year, its great whatever the season as long as its not hammering down. Even if you are touring your local area you get to see the countryside thats not usually accessible, great way to spend some time..... 20210823_193645-03.jpeg

willowbank

Ha we were enthusiastic narrowboatsrs for many enjoyable years and only gave it up for health reasons. When we started there were far fewer boats and hardly any delays at the locks on the more popular rings.
We still enjoy a bit of Gongoozling when we are up that way, hope you have many good memories 👍

Willowbank

sy247

That looks wonderful. Enjoy your holiday :)

I am lucky to live on the Norfolk Broads and enjoy sailing on them. I couldn't agree more that you see things from a perspective that is totally different when you are on the water. Half a mile from home it could be a different world.

Morkai

Ha we were enthusiastic narrowboatsrs for many enjoyable years and only gave it up for health reasons. When we started there were far fewer boats and hardly any delays at the locks on the more popular rings.
We still enjoy a bit of Gongoozling when we are up that way, hope you have many good memories 👍

Willowbank
Luckily we are kind of just out of season so it's very quiet.

We are around Rugby at the moment but we have been up the Peak District, North Shropshire (the Motherland) and Cheshire, all sorts of places.

Great way tonspend some time except for having to empty the toilet every other day.

Morkai

That looks wonderful. Enjoy your holiday :)

I am lucky to live on the Norfolk Broads and enjoy sailing on them. I couldn't agree more that you see things from a perspective that is totally different when you are on the water. Half a mile from home it could be a different world.
Been on the Broads three times......and back this September for a week, Im getting some fishing in this time, only got to fish the first time.

kripton

My wife was nervous when sailing, saying she didn't like the galley etc (to her "the house") laying over at an angle (although she was happy enough sitting out a dinghy when we were courting) so she always fancied a canal holiday in a narrow boat. We only managed a short canal boat holiday on a friend's narrow boat but as a fisherman I was absolutely horrified that apparently narrow boats were permitted to discharge their "grey waste" directly into the canals. For clarification the "black waste" does have to be discharged into dedicated facilities.

Morkai

My wife was nervous when sailing, saying she didn't like the galley etc (to her "the house") laying over at an angle (although she was happy enough sitting out a dinghy when we were courting) so she always fancied a canal holiday in a narrow boat. We only managed a short canal boat holiday on a friend's narrow boat but as a fisherman I was absolutely horrified that apparently narrow boats were permitted to discharge their "grey waste" directly into the canals. For clarification the "black waste" does have to be discharged into dedicated facilities.
Yeah, the shower water goes stright to the canal, everything detergent wise on the boat is eco friendly buy still doesnt seem right.

I had the luck of emptying the elsan earlier.

Morkai

A colleague of mine is in the process of buying a boat - which he intends to live on. I think he is mad - but he's totally into it.
I couldnt live on one, this one is retro and the layout isnt the best (shower and toilet are tiny, cant stand to wee) but I dont mind mind rouging it for a week.

Morkai

Always fancied a holiday on a canalboat. Looks superb! Enjoy :)
Do it, I think you're north of the border from what Ive seen, must be some great routes just south of you.

I would say its probably better if there are 4 of you so you can split up the lock work etc

Worth an ask on here to see if someone can rent you one privately instead of commercial as it is expensive.

aris

I couldnt live on one, this one is retro and the layout isnt the best (shower and toilet are tiny, cant stand to wee) but I dont mind mind rouging it for a week.
Not for me either, but he’s totally into minimal living in small places. I think the boat he is getting you can stand and pee/shower - but the space is minimal - not for me.