Carbon steel blades

ferretmanabu

What's the advantage of forcing a patina on the blade as opposed to just using it normally and wiping dry after using and letting it do it's own rusting?

308boy

I think the answer is the rust can damage and pit the blade making it difficult to clean properly. the patina has formed a barrier to stop additional corrosion.

stole this from another forum:

A patina is similar (although much less effective) process as bluing or browning like on many firearms. It is oxidation of the surface and can prevent the red/brown rust that causes pitting.

Last edited:

ecoman

Hello ferretmanabu.
What's wrong with wiping the blade clean on moss or grass then another dry wipe on your trouser leg or hankie once all the blood has been removed ? - blood being the main cause of rapid corrosion. I used carbon steel knives for years before stainless was on the knife market and never had a problem with rust - just take proper care of it - keep it clean and oil it. The oil can be removed on the moss before carrying out the gralloch.

ferretmanabu

Thanks ecoman. I've been wiping the blade clean and oiling it when I get home after cleaning, but still noticed that there were a couple of spots marking the blade. Not rust, just darker spots. I was worried they might become rust spots.