Carcass rail in a trailer?

kingstonandy

I'm thinking about getting a frame made to go into my Ifor Williams GD105 to allow red carcasses to be hung up behind my quad bike.
Has anyone done anything similar before and have any tips or photos?

I'm thinking about getting a frame made to go into my Ifor Williams GD105 to allow red carcasses to be hung up behind my quad bike.
I would make sure your set up keeps them from swinging as they are quite long and a far weight so that could be a problem as 50>90 kg swinging around.

Best to keep the weight low down and forward of the trailer axle if possible - you would be at serious risk of couping the trailer on rough ground due to the weight at height, and as been said, swing of the load. Plus you have to get them up there rather than a pull onto the trailer bed!

I think that’s going to get very interesting on the first sharp bend with a full load.

Perhaps I wasn't clear, I transport the quad in the trailer. I want to hang carcasses in there as well.
The quad is 300kg of ballast stabilising the trailer. If you think that is dangerous you've never towed livestock.

An idea came to my mind that you could have a gantry made up with an A frame either side and a rail across the trailer...you could pivot the frame on the the rear most base point and thus lay it down with its rail behind the trailer...attach your carcasses to it then swing it up and onto the trailer with a simple cable winch.... The winch could be mounted on one side with a snatch block in the middle of the rail and the other end of the cable made fast on the other side of the trailer..that would clear the quad bike and could be left during transport to hold the gantry in position. I think Tim's point about the dynamic load is a good one even with the ballast of the quad bike, so tying off the bottom of the carcasses would be a good idea.

I can sketch it for you if you have a problem envisaging it from my description.

Alan

Last edited:
The trailer has mesh sides, there's plenty to attach onto to prevent swinging.
post a picture as hard to get quite the jest of your set up....also are you into welding fixtures etc as that will be the issue. One thing I thought would be of interest would be a frame where you could restrict the swing affect so they had their own compartment....much like a hotel cupboard for trousers jackets...
I am sure Alan or I would see it in the finished state in a few seconds as we make a lot of one off stuff.

Keep going.

I've got a wee swing out crane welded on the side of my trailer. Lets me hoist a red and do what i need to do. But I wouldn't leave it swinging down the road. It goes into a plasteres bath with a cover.

Back