Career change

palframan5

Good evening boys and girls,

I'm looking for a bit of advice please. Currently I am a self employed tree surgeon but I realize that I can't do this type of work all of my working life due to the strong physical requirements of the job. I am looking for some advice on how to being a career in game keeping, preferably more stalking than birds. I have been told that my tree surgery work would help me in trying to get a job on a small estate because a small estate would prefer to have someone's like an estate manager who could do all types of work involved.

Is this true

Any advice would be greatly appreciated

CarlW

Good evening boys and girls,

I'm looking for a bit of advice please. Currently I am a self employed tree surgeon but I realize that I can't do this type of work all of my working life due to the strong physical requirements of the job. I am looking for some advice on how to being a career in game keeping, preferably more stalking than birds. I have been told that my tree surgery work would help me in trying to get a job on a small estate because a small estate would prefer to have someone's like an estate manager who could do all types of work involved.

Is this true

Any advice would be greatly appreciated
Hi,
Are you willing to relocate? How about speaking to the Forestry Commission?
Kind regards,
Carl

palframan5

Thank you, I had not thought about the fc, would people like upm till hill, and the woodlands Trust be good people to speak with as well?

jubnut

Is your concern that being an Arborist is a physical job and as you get older you won't be capable of climbing?

If so, what makes you think you will still be capable of dragging deer?

Reactions: JTO

CarlW

Thank you, I had not thought about the fc, would people like upm till hill, and the woodlands Trust be good people to speak with as well?
Yes. Good plan. FC would be first choice though, particularly if you are willing to go beyond the wall. Either seek something direct with the FC or get involved with a contractor.

However, as Jubnut says, still very physical work.

Kind regards,

Carl

Bert/Ernie

I think you would have to spend some time being a ghillie or similar to work your way into a job, but being a tree surgeon would certainly help with the estate maintenance side of the job.

The drop in your income may be something to think about also.

All the best with it, Andrew

lw woodlands

Fc wildlife ranger posts are extremely sought after positions and when vacancies come up the volume of applicants is huge. You may land a nice job with the fc but there are already lots of guys within the fc queuing up for the ranger posts!
You may be lucky to find estate work, best way in as you say is to get yourself known by contracting for them. Get yourself on the contractors list for forestry management firms like tilhill etc. Put yourself out there, make contacts and build a good cv and reputation.
Countryside jobs service and environment job are the websites for job ads.
Good luck.

bogtrotter

For every Gamekeeper/ stalkers job that becomes vacant there are not tens but hundreds of applicants , several colleges running keepering courses turning out scores of young men every year with not enough jobs for them all.
What can you offer that someone who has just qualified from college or who has been in the job for twenty years can't
What experience qualifications do you have relevant to the job?
Not trying to put you off but you will find it difficult to get a start.
Good luck.

Bavarianbrit

If you have had say 20 years in the business then hire a young un and then do the managing of all your contacts and let the young ones do the hard work.
Should be easier than jumping ship.
BB

palframan5

Is your concern that being an Arborist is a physical job and as you get older you won't be capable of climbing?

If so, what makes you think you will still be capable of dragging deer?
Jubnut,

I'm not sure if you are personally familiar with tree surgery, climbing or forestry. But I have done the job for over 15 years, so I can personally say that going from climbing 8hrs a day, rigging lowering systems and dragging branches all day is far easier than dragging a deer.

So thank you for your concern but I think I will be fine, besides worst case scenario I'll make sure I only pull the trigger when it's a down hill drag with the deer!!!

palframan5

Thank you everyone for the. Helpful advice, when the time comes I now have an idea of where to go. In the meantime I will do what lw woodlands suggested and try and get in with the FC now.

Thank you once again

jubnut

I'll make sure I only pull the trigger when it's a down hill drag with the deer!!!
Fail.

I didn't mean to offend.

Actually I am also very familiar with tree surgery.

Make no mistake. Professionally managing deer is no easy job, Physically, Mentally or the effect or sacrifice not only you will make but your family.

If your only motivation is that you want an job that is physically easier as you get older then with respect I would suggest you are looking at the job through rose tinted specs.

Last edited:

Rake Aboot

I shoot hill Roe, and trust me , I'd rather climb trees than drag one of those buggers the 2k back to the motor.

As for Reds.! lol.

Stalking is not an easy non physical job, and to suggest you'd be selective and shoot the easy ones means that stalking is not the job for you bud.

Jagdman

Fail.

I didn't mean to offend.

Actually I am also very familiar with tree surgery.

Make no mistake. Professionally managing deer is no easy job, Physically, Mentally or the effect or sacrifice not only you will make but your family.

If your only motivation is that you want an job that is physically easier as you get older then with respect I would suggest you are looking at the job through rose tinted specs.
What this man says 100%

sauer

I’m fairly new ( last couple years ) to red deer stalking and even tho I was well warned ......
Roe stalking doesn’t prepare you for this
When you have 8 or 9 hinds down and start getting them together whilst someone goes to get Argo ... even after gralloch ... getting them together ...... bu44er me!!!

Even going downhill you hit hags and bumps and your going up again to get them over ....

Burns that might be only 6 ft wide but 5ft deep and need to get them over to get them to Argo at closest point!

It’s still an eye opener couple years in & I wish to hell I’d been able to do it when younger.

Hats off to the guys that do this 6 days a week ....

The. You get them back to the larder and work starts all over again & standards NEED to be worthwhile ....

Then your home get your self and your kit all sorted out & you’ve barely time for decent **** eye and it starts all over .

Just be real honest with yourself that your doing it for right reasons

&
That if you do .... then give it every bl00dy thing you’ve got ! Mean it

A’the best

Pau

Last edited: