Carlisle Fallow

HAMMY

Having traveled the M74\M6 for more years than I care to remember, and i do a lot of over the hedge rubbernecking for deer on those travels, I saw for the first time this morning several Fallow deer right at J44 Carlisle. Is there a local herd here and what sort of numbers in that herd?Hammy

Ranger22

There used to be a private collection just to the north of Carlisle, I believe they got released when the owner died. It could be them

Al

HAMMY

Thanks, last few fields North of the junction, one really big buck amongst them, it was fleeting glance I reckon there was 7 or 8 in the group.

Big Stu

They've been there a few year now steadily increasing in numbers counted 9 a few weeks ago, there has been the odd road causality though
they probably originated from the late Brooks Mileson's estate
But Will posts like mean the end to them though ??

murray50

They've been there a few year now steadily increasing in numbers counted 9 a few weeks ago, there has been the odd road causality though
they probably originated from the late Brooks Mileson's estate
But Will posts like mean the end to them though ??
​yes this will be the end of them!!!

​yes this will be the end of them!!!
surely people have more sense than to act in such opportunist ways. a small herd of fallow, if wanted to become larger for sporting purposes and biodiversity purposes, should be kept and looked after in a management perspective, not obliterated.

...sometimes these days I stay in and do some work rather than head out stalking,,simply because I feel these poor deer need a genuine break from the daily hunting around they get...the UK is far too saturated with stalkers in some places.

Distinguished Member
surely people have more sense than to act in such opportunist ways. a small herd of fallow, if wanted to become larger for sporting purposes and biodiversity purposes, should be kept and looked after in a management perspective, not obliterated.

...sometimes these days I stay in and do some work rather than head out stalking,,simply because I feel these poor deer need a genuine break from the daily hunting around they get...the UK is far too saturated with stalkers in some places.
poachers dont work to cull plans im afraid to tell you

arron

you would be very surprised , its a sad fact but quite a few people wouldnt think twice with there' if i dont get them, the neighbours or the dog lads will get them' attitude, not everyone are as responsable as the SD guys .

mudman

Must be a great many escapes / releases of deer over the years, fallow and red, probably sika as well, which have been quickly shot out. Not always by poachers either, too many 'legitimate' folk see just the venison money or the antlers and with the previously mentioned attitude of "if I don't somebody else will" they end up dead.