Carrie fisher RIP

Pedro

One pretty woman in her youth. I understand she had her demons, but you're right Howy, abuse your body and eventually there's a price to pay.

Cootmeurer

Blame me for playing The Devil's Advocate, but why are we all expected to show such reverence upon the passing of people who play make believe, or sports, for a living?

Was she an EMT and save actual lives? Did she serve as a military/police/firefighter and defend and protect? Did she teach youth, or build houses, or even unclog toilets?

Rake Aboot

Because folk who unclog bogs , soldiers and coppers, didn`t have such a huge impact on popular culture, or remain in your memory for having such a big impact on growing up.

Obvious really.

jubnut

Blame me for playing The Devil's Advocate, but why are we all expected to show such reverence upon the passing of people who play make believe, or sports, for a living?

Was she an EMT and save actual lives? Did she serve as a military/police/firefighter and defend and protect? Did she teach youth, or build houses, or even unclog toilets?
I have to agree.

tusker

Only 3 days left of this year. I bet Keith Richards and Cliff Richard are crapping it:D
Tusker

tramblygoat

Moneys on Bruce Forsyth.
Terrible guys but that B.F, K.R and C.Richard comment did make me laugh. I think Keith Richard explodes the excessive drink, cigs and drugs theory..??? There is too much news on these people in any case and that their deaths shouldn't be a case of national mourning for days or make top headlines. This is unfortunately the social media world that we live in.

Sauer90

Absolutely, just another sollywood junkie lovvie at end of the day, no great loss, she made tons of dough and spent it on drugs.

Jagare

As all the celebrities like a gala to pat them selves on the back for being such a gift to us. Perhaps at the end of each year, they could hold a celebrity Darwin award gala for those that have caused their own early demise.

Uncle f

Alan good post however I don't think they could find a venue large enough to cope with the people and egos together
happy new year bud

Hornet 6

What is it with people these days :banghead:

The world would be a better place if a simple rule was observed.
If you have nothing nice to say, best to say nothing at all.

Neil.

Sauer90

What is it with people these days :banghead:

The world would be a better place if a simple rule was observed.
If you have nothing nice to say, best to say nothing at all.
Maybe some are tired at the continual drivel that is written regarding how wonderful the sollywood and music industry types are, the sugar coating is enough to gag a maggot.
Sad reality is that a life spent doing drugs or being in rehab is not the role model that we should praise, imagined virtue does not count.

Rake Aboot

Dunno. Hard living rock stars have been a pretty good influence on me so far :)

How could anyone say that Kieth Richards is no role model ??

Pedro

I do tend to agree that the majority of these stars of screen or song are, personally, nothing special and many of those that have served the country in the forces, emergency services or medicine are much more worthy.

The difference is is that these well known people are often interwoven into our lives and invoke memories of our own lives and as such make us contemplate our own mortality.

But that really doesn't give many of them the right to impose their views and beliefs on us, either politically or otherwise. Look at Brian May. No doubt a brilliant guitarist whose skill helped Queen to become one of the best British bands ever. But how does that give him the right to impose his views on others?