Cartridge convertion book

Laurie

Muir

I have both books and have done some extensive cartridge remakes. What are you interested in doing, or is is just academics??~Muir

enfieldspares

Don't waste money on the three Fred Datig books. They are useless. Best also purchase a Cartridges of the World although some recent editions are not as user friendly as the ones immediately beforehand.

Why? Because Nonte died in 1978 and so is from a past time before the 6.8mm SPC, before the Dakota cartridges, before a number of other proprietary cartridges that have been introduced since Nonte and before private cartridge mills such Bruce Bertam and other companies with financial wherewithal such as Buffalo Arms to have the larger cartridge mills re-make obsolete cases such as .30 Newton.

So what once was made by a long winded process may now either be back in production by one of these private cartridge mills or have a currently made case that can be adapted. I'd be less certain about Donnelly as I haven't read it. But the fact is that there are many new cartridges that are actually re-hashes of older cartridges especially or other new cartridges may be more easily available.

A case in point is 8mm Nambu. Nonte likely suggests using .30 Remington cases. That in itself was (by that time then) almost semi-obsolete. So there's all sorts of humorous asides about almost having to wrestle .30 Remington cases from shooters of those rifle. Or he may suggest, from memory, using .38 Special and accept that it'll bulge when fired. After Nonte of course the 6.8mm SPC has emerged which is based on the .30 Remington. Plus others suggest using (again post-Nonte) the .357 Sig cartridge. And finally there's now availability of 8mm Nambu cases again in limited runs.

So Nonte is good for the processes involved but he could never have imagined that only a few short years after his death that many new cartridges would appear that would better serve as a starting point to convert to the calibre desired. So Nonte's information is out of date regarding what now can be obtained. For example the last obsolete cartridge I needed to load done in the 1990s before the handgun ban was the old Ira Paine .38-44 for the Smith & Wesson revolver chambered for it. I simply used .357 Maximum cartridges trimmed down. Nonte would not have had those. Hope it helps?

Last edited:

KEITHKILVO1

My post is for both wanted and info. There seem to be a few books around when I do an internet search but I thought a post on here would sort the wheat from the chaff
Thanks for the input

Is this a 'wanted' or a request for information? If the latter, there is an older but very good book by George C Nonte Jnr which you can still find on Amazon or suchlike

https://www.amazon.com/Home-Guide-Cartridge-Conversions/dp/0882270052

Then somewhat more recent, there is The Handloader's Manual of Cartridge Conversions by John J Donnelly, still in print and yours for £19.99 from Amazon UK.

https://www.amazon.com/Home-Guide-Cartridge-Conversions/dp/0882270052

KEITHKILVO1

Hi Enfield
So I get the point that the Nonte book is good for the process, would you have a recommendation for a book to tell me what cases are best convert to the ones I want.
eg I have been told I can use 30-30 or 38-55 to produce a 32-40 case so which book would help me best?
Cheers

Muir

Donnelley: "Make from Factory or 375 Winchester. Anneal case, cut to length & chamfer. FL resize. Size lead bullet .320" - 321""
Nonte: "Make from 38-55. FL resize in 32-40 die. Rim may require .010" reduction in diameter. Use .313" diameter bullets.
Remarks: 30/30 Win cases may be used by Fl resizing but they will be about .10" short"

There. You can save your money. ~Muir