CCTV advice sought.

1967spud Reloading Supplies Ltd - UK Suppliers for Reloading Equipment supplies, We also stock Bullet Heads and Bullet Cases Guns Cabinets, Night vision and much much more...

N.F.W.M

Due to an increase in thieving Pikey's in the area I am wanting to increase the security at my home.

For preference I would like 3 cameras mounted on the outside of my house, one at my kennel and one 50m away from the house pointing at the drive.

My questions are.... Is it possible to have a wireless system ?
Do I record on a hard drive ? is this the same as a P.C/Mac hard drive ?
Can I access live footage from my Laptop/phone ?

Any advice greatly received

Thanks

Ed

charadam

I have a couple of cameras that I bought online.

They are Internet Protocol (IP) and are wireless.

I can monitor one of them from anywhere over t'internet, but the other will not play.

When triggered, both cameras record to a hard disk.

norma 308

A/ yes
B/yes
C/ for better storage and longer storage use a seperate hard drive
D/ yes providing you buy the correct system
use motion detection system if possible keeps storage down ,correct lighting for night time or infra red
dont forget your next doors privacy and public rights of way .
pm for anymore details
cheers
​norma

White Hart

Im working on a job at the moment where the worksite is viewed by clients from all around the world via the internet. I've no idea what it costs, but the cameras themselves dont look anything too expensive. The cameras have microphones and speakers on them so you can hear whats going on and if necessary talk back "hey you cacker get of my land!" you can log onto them via any pc, smartphone etc and I believe they have a record function.

https://www.dropcam.com/

teabag_46

My dad had a system like that, until the scroats broke in and nicked the computer he used for the cctv system - he now saves to the cloud.

Taff

yes to all questions, it will not stop you getting robbed but will help with insurance

norma 308

Also worth mentioning time and date are correct on the machine ,should an incident occurr and these are not then the person retrieving the evidence will have to note the time differences better to be correct in the first instance .
​norma

widows son

Due to an increase in thieving Pikey's in the area I am wanting to increase the security at my home.

For preference I would like 3 cameras mounted on the outside of my house, one at my kennel and one 50m away from the house pointing at the drive.

My questions are.... Is it possible to have a wireless system ?
Do I record on a hard drive ? is this the same as a P.C/Mac hard drive ?
Can I access live footage from my Laptop/phone ?

Any advice greatly received

Thanks

Ed
I recently bought a system from Macro. Swann H264 records continuously plug and play job put it on your IPhone, ipad, laptop is simple also around £240.00 gives you 4 cameras a base unit and monitor both colour and Ir for night .

Remember put up the signs that come with it, as a notice that people are being recorded covers you in any eventuality if you require it for evidence. without them any recording is inadmissible as evidence .

Si

I recently bought a system from Macro. Swann H264 records continuously plug and play job put it on your IPhone, ipad, laptop is simple also around £240.00 gives you 4 cameras a base unit and monitor both colour and Ir for night .

Remember put up the signs that come with it, as a notice that people are being recorded covers you in any eventuality if you require it for evidence. without them any recording is inadmissible as evidence .

So if some scroat breaks in and jemmys my gunsafe open the Police won't be interested in the footage because I don't have warning signs up?

widows son

So if some scroat breaks in and jemmys my gunsafe open the Police won't be interested in the footage because I don't have warning signs up?

Did I say that SI ,no I Didn't. The footage in court unless signage is put up is inadmissible that's the reason it comes with the cameras .

Now then here's another point in the towns and cities in Scotland the have signs up in and around the towns this allows them to charge you with any offence as they have told you cctv cameras are in use
View attachment 30274

Si

my system...

IMG_0868.JPG IMG_0869.JPG IMG_0870.JPG
cameras on all four corners of the house, not wireless... records onto hard drive and has back up to PC facility. Also have a monitored alarm system with a panic button at the side of my gun cabinet.

prometheus

To my knowledge the in admissibility of evidence based on signage has never been tested in court. Signage is only a requirement for systems in public areas where the system has to effectively comply with the data protection act.

in theory every external CCTV system on a building in the country should also have planning consent, again I have never known of a prosecution or even an enforcement notice for non compliance of local planning rules.

i know of CCTV systems where police regularly seek to download images because the general area under surveillance often has issues unrelated to the building concerned, but does not have signage up.

Last edited:

Gazza

In a way the warning signs do have a bearing on admissibility of evidence in court. The warning signs are to do with Human Rights of privacy. You must be informed if you are being filmed and recorded. Therefore if you have a camera up which records the movements of the public, even on your land where the public have access (such as your driveway) you should have a sign informing persons that their Human Rights are being breached if they remain in that area . If you do not have the sign you would be in breach of Human Rights and more than likely the evidence would be inadmissible. By the letter of the law the operator of the camera/recording equipment is not allowed to view the recordings where it records movements of the public. Where a camera is trained on a specific building where the public do not have access and the reason the camera is there is for security the Police can download images of unrelated incidents and they would be admissible as evidence as the intention of the camera was to record only persons who were committing crime (not general movement) and it just so happened to capture some other incident.
I am aware of the RSPB falling foul of camera legislation whereby they had a camera trained on a vermin trap containing a raptor. This was classed as surveillance and as they had no permission from the landowner and nor had they applied for authority to carry out surveillance.

CDSG Shooting Sports