Cens digital or custom guard ear protection

BIG DADDY

Does anyone have any experience with the digital in-ear defenders. I'm considering the above products. Any recommendations would be appreciated.
TIA

Oh6

Take a look at the EEP's, a lot less money and more effective, there are quite a few reviews and discussions about them:
Does anyone have any experience with the digital in-ear defenders. I'm considering the above products. Any recommendations would be appreciated.
TIA

lochty

I got a pair of the digital moulded ones when they first came on the market. Great things, provided you don't lose one in deep heather in the Cairngorms.....:(

Sonicdmb73

I have recently bought a set of the CENS Mino. I have other passive in ear and electronic over ear protection so far I am very impressed with these. Tried different foam plugs that they come with to find the right fit. Once done I found them comfortable to wear all day. the three different volume levels work well depending on what I'm doing stalking, in a hide etc. They are £200 reduced from £300 which I thought reasonable. Not sure I would have bought them at £300, but glad I did.
The only downside is the batteries are zinc air once you take the tabs off they last about two weeks regardless of if you use them or not.

Scandially

Looked seriously at them but with fitting charges decided to invest in some Peltors... they enhance background sounds and are not as easy to lose. Keep midges off when i soak a tissue with Smidge and let the tissue hang like spaniels ears 👍.
I found a CENS at Auchterhouse and the chap never knew he had lost it from his lug.

willie_gunn

I have had the Cens for perhaps 7 or 8 years, and they are still going strong. I guess they are what are now called the ProFlex DX?

I had mine made out of flourescent yellow compound, having lost one of the dark blue Emtec passive in-ear plugs I had before :(

Scandially

I bought a pair of Peltor Sport Tac when my old Pro Tacs failed after 20y. Sent my old ones back to 3M for an overhaul and now use them as they are slimmer and easier to use the buttons. The old ones came back with two of the latest circuit boards and new hygiene kit. Money well spent on both as i usually loan the spare pair to a newbie.

caorach

I have the Peltor/3M LEP-100 (or maybe 200, can't remember but they are basically the same) as I bought them before the less expensive versions became available. I think the only big difference is that the LEP version have a charging box that can take batteries and so charge the earplugs "on the go." I don't think you'd find this a worthwhile advantage as most cars etc. have a USB port that you can use for charging. There are now a few versions about but, as mentioned, the EEP-100 version is about £150 and they are basically the same as my LEPs except for the case.

The noise attenuation you can achieve with moulded plugs is quite limited as, basically, they need to be made such that you can get them into and out of your ears and this means the seal is far from perfect. The attenuation achieved with the Peltor EEP plugs depends entirely on the foam earpiece you use, the foam expands to fill any voids and so provides an excellent seal and they can get fairly close to the theoretical limit with some ear tips giving an SNR of 38dB . The key is to get an "ear tip" that fits you, is comfortable, and that works for you such that you always wear them and you insert them correctly. It is possible that the earpieces that ship with the plugs may not be idea for you and so if they don't work or feel comfortable straight out of the box then it is worth taking 20 minutes to try different sizes and types of ear tip.

Cawdor118

I had Cens digitals for 8 year absolutely problem free until I lost the left ear. They were so good in fact, I bought another set to replace them. They are a lot of money, but you only get once set of lugs.