cerakote and proof

dropmdead

My buddy approached me with a question -

When you have a rifle duracoated/cerakoted, and it comes back to you and you can't see the proof marks, is it out of proof (even if it has been to proof and passed).

dropmdead

He has a rifle that has clearly been proofed by a well known cerakoter (not on here), but the only visible proof marks are now only the bolt

dropmdead

It appears to be the case...
The question is, is it out of proof since there are no "visible" proof marks?
If the chap wanted to sell it, would he have to send it to the proof house prior to sale?

CarlW

It appears to be the case...
The question is, is it out of proof since there are no "visible" proof marks?
If the chap wanted to sell it, would he have to send it to the proof house prior to sale?
I don't know whether, as a matter of law, the invisibility of proof marks renders a firearm out of proof; however, evidentially-speaking, their absence will be a major obstacle to a lawful sale.

If the cerakoter has removed the marks by bead-blasting, in my opinion, he has damaged the goods: he should pay to have the firearm reproofed and the marks reinstated.

Sonicdmb73

It is I believe an offence to remove proof marks. For example the Proof Houses now stamp the muzzle. So if you thread or shorten the barrel you have to reproof because you remove a mark in the process

Ronin

Distinguished Member
The proof marks will still be there - the chap I use for coating work also covers the proof marks - they remain visible

As an aside whenever one submits weapons for proof they are returned with certificate of proof (list of rifles , calibre , serial number etc and date conducted - passed

This is held by me and can be referred back to (as I have done recently)

One can also call the the two PH and pass serial number , brand and calibre and ask when it was proved

dropmdead

Much appreciated for everyone's insights and knowledge on this one.
It's something that I had no clue on, and my buddy was worried about the rifle not being able to be sold on again until reproofed.

8x57

Distinguished Member
It is I believe an offence to remove proof marks. For example the Proof Houses now stamp the muzzle. So if you thread or shorten the barrel you have to reproof because you remove a mark in the process
I know that it's an offence to alter or modify a proof mark , or to counterfeit a proof mark, but I'm not so sure about removing one such as by shortening a barrel. The marking of a barrel near the crown is only something that the proof house have done in recent years and many would argue that that was done as a matter of protectionism to justify their take on the situation regarding threading.
If a rifle barrel was simply shortened removing any marks near the muzzle it could never be argued that the barrel was weakened in any way.