Cernunnos

BRACES of Bristol - Mauser M12 with Schmidt & Bender 2.5-10x56 Illuminated Scope

Cernunnos

Greetings,

I am a novice hunter and recently completed my DSC 1 with The Stalking School in Moray. I intend to continue with my hunting education and complete the DSC 2. I am an NRA member and have shot calibres ranging from .22 to .375 H&H Mag. I am in the process of purchasing my first deer rifle and have decided on a .308. I currently reside in London and hope to explore deer hunting opportunities in the surrounding counties, in addition to planning trips back home to Scotland a few times a year.

Regards,

Scott

Loki

Hi

Welcome and hope you enjoy your time - lots of info/experience here.

Cheers, L

Cernunnos

Gentlemen,

Thank you all for welcoming me to the SD. I'm looking forward to benefiting from the advice and experience of other members. I'm in the initial stages of planning a trip to Caithness in November for Red Hinds. This will be a challenging contrast to the woodland stalking I have done.

Regards,

Scott

Cernunnos

Is that you Andy? I can detect the faintest trace of bone dry humour. Thank you for increasing my vocabulary. I now know the definition of Hoplophobe from reading your SD postings.

I'll PM you regarding Caithness.

Cernunnos

Andy,

Can't PM you. Not enough posts. Will e-mail you from work. Please can you reply to my yahoo e-mail address?

Scott

Moray Outfitting

Scott

No problem.

I've just got to ask ( what everyone else - 'cos its a cultured bunch here - apart from Jayb ;) ) 'Horned One'? :D

I should have added to initial post - Scott is well known to us and is another 'good guy'. It is a real pleasure to be out and about with this gentleman. Relatively fresh to stalking if not firearms, he is a credit to the stalking community. Just dont lend him your car! ;)

Andy

Cernunnos

Andy,

Yes, in addition to the amusing innuendo of being, "The Horned One," Cernunnos (similar to latin for horn - Cornu) is a Celtic horned/antlered god. As I've been reading about deer in general, I've discovered mythological and cultural references to them. My avatar picture is from a panel on The Gundestrup Cauldron, which was found in a peat bog in Denmark in 1891, and is dated between 200 BC - 300 AD. It shows Cernunnos flanked by a deer and brandishing a Torc.

He is also depicted on a 1st century Gaulish stone carving called The Pillar of the Boatmen, where he is shown with Torcs hanging from his antlers. This was found in Paris in the 1700's, beneath Notre Dame.

I've been reading about some of the Pictish Stones found up in your area and many of them have carvings of deer. It seems deer were venerated in pre-christian Europe, similar to the way game animals were, by indigenous people in North America. You still see vestiges of this in the Sami people in Northern Scandinavia and the Nenets reindeer herders in Northern Russia.

Trivia picked up in the pursuit of a juicy cut of venison.

Thank you for the vote of confidence. Please convey my regards and appreciation to John for his assistance with my DSC1 revision.

In fairness, I returned my brother's car with only light cosmetic damage. Nothing mechanical. Next time I'm on your plot I should probably consider a vehicle with higher ground clearance...or perhaps drive slower.

Slàinte mhath,

Attachments

• cernunnos.jpg
    cernunnos.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 3
  • CernunnosParis.jpg
    CernunnosParis.jpg
    19.5 KB · Views: 3
  • n06_nets5793.jpg
    n06_nets5793.jpg
    361.2 KB · Views: 4
  • 22114.jpg
    22114.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 5
  • pictstone8_353x470.jpg
    pictstone8_353x470.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 3

JAYB

Administrator
Site Staff
Enjoy your trip to Caithness with Andy, and be sure to walk where he does because if him and his "power band "don't sink then you will be fine :rofl:

John

Cernunnos

John,

Andy explained about the Flow Country being somewhat sodden. Slightly nervous, as I am also blessed with a physique with a high sectional density. If I sink without trace, at least the peat bogs will preserve my corpse. Enjoying the SD. Thanks for your efforts.

​Scott

Leica Amplus 6