Change in licensing process

Heym SR20

Well done on this. Note though it only affects England and Wales. What's the situation regarding Scotland.

David BASC

Official Member
Our team in Scotland are holding more meetings with the Police and medical representatives. As soon as we know more I will post on a separate thread
David

Buchan

One wonders how many other businesses would be happy being told what it can and cannot charge for, particularly from a lobbying body. The quote from the BASC barrister is particularly amusing given the legal profession would rarely issue a written opinion without an invoice.

Last edited:

N1mr0d

My personal opinion is that this loss of patient doctor confidentiality will lead to the suppression of the reporting of treatable depression and other 'relevant' problems in licence holders and there will be an increase in suicides and accidents with licensed weapons involved.

For some shooting folk getting out and about can be their only relief from the pressures of everyday life.

I feel incredibly lucky that I do not suffer from a relevant problem, having known one or two that were not so lucky.

The figures will take a few years to surface.

darkstalker

How does this make things any clearer for the GPs? As I understand, the sticking point was that GPs, when asked about the medical suitability of the applicant to hold a firearm license, wanted the work to be paid for. The release just says that GPs don't have to respond if they have no concerns. But, the work still has to be undertaken by the doctor AND he is responsible for it. Will be interesting to see what the medical representative group's press release says.

Orion

Will be interesting to see what the medical representative group's press release says.
Pretty much what the previous one said (if they do issue another one that is!).

https://www.bma.org.uk/advice/employment/ethics/ethics-a-to-z/firearms

BMA are on the ball with this, the HO, Police and BASC are the ones playing catch up.

I still maintain that the system is flawed, was put into place with little or no reference to a cost/benefit analysis or the proportionality of the measures.

David BASC

Official Member
I cant for the life of me understand why you say BASC is playing catch up - on the contrary we are leading on this!

And to say there was no analysis before hand is also wrong, there was loads of consultation and discussion - hence the BMA's positioning initially that there would be no need to charge. BASC and the HO have been consistent with following the decisions that were initially made, it seems the BMA want to keep changing the goalposts away from what they originally agreed!

Anyway we have been over this before and its probably not worth opening up the old debate as the facts remain the same

David

CharlieT

Pretty much what the previous one said (if they do issue another one that is!).

https://www.bma.org.uk/advice/employment/ethics/ethics-a-to-z/firearms

BMA are on the ball with this, the HO, Police and BASC are the ones playing catch up.

I still maintain that the system is flawed, was put into place with little or no reference to a cost/benefit analysis or the proportionality of the measures.
Talking of a flawed system, have a look at the readers comments to this article, your hair will curl! http://www.pulsetoday.co.uk/home/finance-and-practice-life-news/gps-should-refuse-all-firearms-licence-requests-says-bma-in-u-turn/20032395.fullarticle

Orion

Ha, yes if the responses to the article were from members of the medical profession it doesn't bode well at all. I wonder what the removed comments contained? :eek:

Nice to see the almost obligatory picture of a Colt .45ACP that accompanies most 'gun' reportage as well. :rolleyes:

In answer to the other posts, IIRC all the proposed eminently sensible tabled amendments to the Bill regarding placing expanding back into S.1, certificate life to be extended during the renewal process, etc were firmly booted into touch by the Home Office.

timbrayford

"The NHS should not be subsidising non-NHS work, and the cost of GP input should be funded by a proportion of the application fee covering GP time and input"

I'm pleased to see that they are apparently claiming that their fee should come from the statutory grant/renewal fee, in which case it seems to be inappropriate for the GP to seek funds directly from their patient.

Orion

"The NHS should not be subsidising non-NHS work, and the cost of GP input should be funded by a proportion of the application fee covering GP time and input"

I'm pleased to see that they are apparently claiming that their fee should come from the statutory grant/renewal fee, in which case it seems to be inappropriate for the GP to seek funds directly from their patient.
And what will happen to grant/renewal fees to cover any extra costs?

Orion

What extra costs?
Any GP fees being taken from grant/renewal fee we pay. They weren't factored in for the last increase and if some bright spark at the HO can see that the current medical check procedure isn't working...........

it won't take long for it be made mandatory and Joe Bloggs FAC/SGC holder will be footing the bill.

timbrayford

Any GP fees being taken from grant/renewal fee we pay. They weren't factored in for the last increase and if some bright spark at the HO can see that the current medical check procedure isn't working...........

it won't take long for it be made mandatory and Joe Bloggs FAC/SGC holder will be footing the bill.
Or the NHS could simply add it to the GP's contract, its not surprising that it wasn't there beforehand as this is a new requirement. Please bear in mind the licensing process is there to benefit society as a whole, not just shooters. There can be no reasonable justification to expect shooters to in effect pay for policing armed or potentially armed criminals can there?

2130martin

Surely,if it becomes the norm that we shooters have to pay for reports,we will shop around for the best deal so,isn't it better to get the NHS and Home Office to cut a deal??

AN DU RU FOX

There is no need to ask for a fee by anyone,unless theres a problem flagged up ,,,,if your sane /reasonably fit and only existing conditions not changed then no money needs to be asked for or granted,or am i thinking again,