Change of .243 Optics

rab19

Hi All,
Looking to change my P/H .243 setup and currently using it for stalking and foxing.

It has a Nikko Stirling Diamond 4-16x50 Holdfast in Leupold 30mm fixed rings and bases on top, using a 16mm Pard 007 and Sirius IR.

While the 4-16 is okay, I prefer the 2.5 base mag that I have with my Athlon Midas 2.5-15x50, I would swap to this but have knocked the zero off on the non-lockable turrets a couple of times.

Cannot decide to either put on a Pic rail from Alan Rhone and get a preloved Pard 008 or Sightline 450/750 for foxing and fit Warne Maxima QD/Leupold QR rings for the Nikko during the day.

Other plan is, I put the cash towards a 2.5 low base mag Athlon HMR/Delta Titanium/Sightron and carry on with the 007.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks.

BLUEROLL

Have you thought about a day/night optic like the Wulf 4K from Optics Warehouse. I am using a demo unit for day stalking and all you have to do is attach a IR illuminator, quick press of the on/off button from day mode and your ready for night foxing.

rab19

Have you thought about a day/night optic like the Wulf 4K from Optics Warehouse. I am using a demo unit for day stalking and all you have to do is attach a IR illuminator, quick press of the on/off button from day mode and your ready for night foxing.

Hi Blueroll,
Legislation north of the wall prohibits using one of these for stalking deer even though designed for day as well as njght😕

25 Sharps

I bought the wulf add on unit on your say so that it was better than the WDV700, even tried switching to the IR you suggested, though better than the pard007 it is an utter disappointment compared to the wardy! It is also designed badly as the battery housing and another housing sticks out of the right hand side of the unit instead of the left, very bad design when you consider 90% of the rifles sold are right handed.

BLUEROLL

I bought the wulf add on unit on your say so that it was better than the WDV700, even tried switching to the IR you suggested, though better than the pard007 it is an utter disappointment compared to the wardy! It is also designed badly as the battery housing and another housing sticks out of the right hand side of the unit instead of the left, very bad design when you consider 90% of the rifles sold are right handed.
I suggest you persevere with it as far as the image is concerned cos I can only tell you that I won`t use the Pard on my 243 for foxing now that I have bought the Wulf AOD.
Also I can only assume that you have excessive bolt lift on your rifle as it works fine on my right hand Steyr SSG69.

Attachments

• 20210826_144821[1].jpg
    20210826_144821[1].jpg
    205.5 KB · Views: 17

25 Sharps

I suggest you persevere with it as far as the image is concerned cos I can only tell you that I won`t use the Pard on my 243 for foxing now that I have bought the Wulf AOD.
Also I can only assume that you have excessive bolt lift on your rifle as it works fine on my right hand Steyr SSG69.
I never liked the pard hence seeking an alternative when needing to have a substitute unit for the wardy whilst it was fixed.

I have tried on 2 scopes and 2 rifles and image is fuzzy on both and the bolt fouls on both. I just baffles me why they didn’t keep the bolt side of the unit clean!

Image and stability wise the wdv700 is streets ahead.

BLUEROLL

I never liked the pard hence seeking an alternative when needing to have a substitute unit for the wardy whilst it was fixed.

I have tried on 2 scopes and 2 rifles and image is fuzzy on both and the bolt fouls on both. I just baffles me why they didn’t keep the bolt side of the unit clean!

Image and stability wise the wdv700 is streets ahead.
I ditched my Ward 700/800 after looking through the original Pard 007 (which I still have as I prefer to use it on air rifle for rats with its integral IR)..
If it is the Pard 007A that you have then I can understand your disappointment with it as in my opinion not is the IR worse, but also the image.

BLUEROLL

I ditched my Ward 700/800 after looking through the original Pard 007 (which I still have as I prefer to use it on air rifle for rats with its integral IR)..
If it is the Pard 007A that you have then I can understand your disappointment with it as in my opinion not is the IR worse, but also the image.
That was meant to say not only is the IR worse, but also the image.

25 Sharps

No it’s the ward that I have and it is far better for image clarity and stability than either the wulf or the pard.

The pard is ok if conditions are perfect and the target is not moving anything after that it just falls to pieces, the wulf is better on that front but nowhere near as good as the WDV700 I’ve used for years. Maybe I’ve just got a good one!

It is the wulf that I am referring to as a replacement (bought largely on your recommendation on here) any I am decidedly disappointed with it. For the price it is good don’t get me wrong but it’s like looking through a sheet of ice compared to the ward.