Sold: Cheap older Leica/Swaro/Zeiss Binos

Muntybuck5803

Evening all

I’m looking for a set of bins to live in my car and as they’re a second set to compliment my ‘proper’ stalking binos I’m on a bit of a budget. Fully appreciating that the brands I’m after are fairly expensive but I’ll consider any in fairly rough shape too as my budget is around £250/300 but pretty flexible for the right set.
Will also consider a decent set of Minox if anyone is looking to shift any as I’ve read good things and been recommended them.

Thanks for looking

willie_gunn

Look at Leitz on eBay.
if you get the ones with a red dot logo then this is just before they became Leica.
£200-300 should sort you a pair.
I am not quite sure I follow?

The red dot first appeared on Leica cameras back in the 1970’s. It still appears on their current binoculars.

Leitz officially became Leica in 1986, but only because the name Leica (a portmanteau formed of Leitz and Camera) was so well known.

For example my Leica M3, produced between 1954 and 1966, is stamped “Leica” on the top, though in script.

So any pair of binoculars stamped Leitz is likely to be at least 35 years old. They may still be good glass, of course.

Last edited:

beanieboy

For £2-300 Hawke Endurance ED or Vortex Diamondback HD perform well beyond their price range. Both have lifetime warranties into the bargain.

teyhan1

Well by all accounts ( and I had to read in to it), Leitz were producing red dot binoculars from 1976 after their move to the production plant in Portugal. The name Leitz was not changed to Leica until 1986 and was done due to the much stronger branding of Leica.
Leica by all accounts is derived from Leitz ( the inventor) and camera -Lei...ca.
You learn something new every day

Muntybuck5803

Thanks for the information so far guys. And very interesting ref Leitz/Leica 👍🏻 Every day is a school day as they say.

So looking towards new rather than used, do any of you guys have experience with the likes of Hawke vs Minox vs Vortex? It seems they might be closer to my needs than a used ‘top tier’ set and look to be a very good deal if the blurb is correct.

Any feedback appreciated.

Thanks

Shotgun572013

Hi there,
A cousin of mine has a pair of Hawke bins . I don’t know what model they are . As I use top tier optics myself , I was very impressed with his ones . They were around £100 a few years back and he has had no problems at all with them . He also owns a pair of early Zeiss but almost always uses the Hawkes’ . I would definitely recommend them

T.eddie

I've heard good things about the vortex diamondback HD bins and have ordered some myself for around £200 new, haven't got them yet but if you still looking when they turn up I'll let you know what they are like

teyhan1

I think you’ll find that Minox binoculars use Schott lenses.
What does that mean?
The way the pour or mould their glass produces less air bubbles in the glass. Less bubbles less refraction and greater clarity.
My understanding anyway.

Freeforester

I think you’ll find that Minox binoculars use Schott lenses.
What does that mean?
The way the pour or mould their glass produces less air bubbles in the glass. Less bubbles less refraction and greater clarity.
My understanding anyway.

Do also bear in mind that not everything is about the lenses, though of course this is pretty much paramount, materials and construction/design should also be borne in mind when choosing.

Like every other pair, don't drop them, these aren't mine, but they had been dropped:

IMG_2745.JPG

IMG_2746.JPG

IMG_2744.JPG
😳

Home Loader

A pair of Carl Zeiss Jena 10v40B notarem's they have had a life one of the strap slots has broken and been replaced with a pin for a key ring, the lenses are good. £150 posted ono

Attachments

• IMG_20210605_110703.jpg
    IMG_20210605_110703.jpg
    283.4 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_20210605_110657.jpg
    IMG_20210605_110657.jpg
    146.5 KB · Views: 19

Muntybuck5803

To clarify, all offers greatly received and appreciated guys and girls.
All conditions considered, but something used and rough for the right price is just as good to me as something lower end and pristine 👌🏻
Also, as another note, and one I’m sure many will appreciate, my 4 year old son has taken to wanting to come out with me as he already has a keen interest in deer management and it’s hard to explain to him to keep his grubby mits off the lenses of my ELs! 🤣🤣🤣🤣
Hence the second set of binos! 🤣🤣🤣🤣